News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2016, 10:58:21 PM
Incorporated. Didn't grab me in the 1st episode.

No surprise.  The real action is in LLCs now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2016, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 30, 2016, 10:58:21 PM
Incorporated. Didn't grab me in the 1st episode.

No surprise.  The real action is in LLCs now.
I had to google it to understand the joke.  Good one :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

'Hateful Eight' - triumph of style over substance?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2016, 03:47:09 PM

I thought it more substantial than several of his other, more successful, movies  :hmm:. Not necessarily as enjoyable mind.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2016, 03:49:49 PM

I thought it more substantial than several of his other, more successful, movies  :hmm:. Not necessarily as enjoyable mind.

Maybe I missed those as my mind was already numb from the bludgeon-like referencing to 'The Thing' ?   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

No.  Well, maybe.  In retrospect, I guess black and white men really can come together to [spoiler]lynch a white woman[/spoiler]; after all, we saw that exact thing happen on November 8th. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 30, 2016, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2016, 05:19:50 PM
I think Designated Survivor is a lot more interesting.

I haven't given up on that one yet, but I feel it does make me go :yeahright: a bit too often.

Ugh, I just watched the first two episodes and was like really? How ham-fisted could the writing be? It's like they want to tackle many important issues of the day but want to handle them in the tritest/cliche possible fashion. I'm not sure if I can give it any further.

[spoiler]Like brown speech writer dealing with issues from cops, jerky governor who is going to do his own thing till stopped by a silly bluff that president reveals to his team is a bluff before governor has had chance to do anything, annoying teen kid doing illegal things, rambunctious general who wants things done his way and the oh so plucky female FBI agent who can intuit things no one else can.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2016, 05:12:21 PM

No.  Well, maybe.  In retrospect, I guess black and white men really can come together to [spoiler]lynch a white woman[/spoiler]; after all, we saw that exact thing happen on November 8th. <_<

:lol:

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2016, 05:32:00 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 30, 2016, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2016, 05:19:50 PM
I think Designated Survivor is a lot more interesting.

I haven't given up on that one yet, but I feel it does make me go :yeahright: a bit too often.

Ugh, I just watched the first two episodes and was like really? How ham-fisted could the writing be? It's like they want to tackle many important issues of the day but want to handle them in the tritest/cliche possible fashion. I'm not sure if I can give it any further.

[spoiler]Like brown speech writer dealing with issues from cops, jerky governor who is going to do his own thing till stopped by a silly bluff that president reveals to his team is a bluff before governor has had chance to do anything, annoying teen kid doing illegal things, rambunctious general who wants things done his way and the oh so plucky female FBI agent who can intuit things no one else can.[/spoiler]

Yeah to all that...but it's still entertaining.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2016, 05:12:21 PM

Ok, Clarence.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Syt

Haven't seen Hatefull Eight yet, but isn't it partially inspired by Cut-Throats Nine?

Cinema Snob review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9gM4EOFzBU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Love that that quote from The Psychotronic Video Guide is the selling point.   :lol:

While a little dated now (last updated in 1996), The Psychotronic Video Guide to Film is still required reading for fans of B-Movies. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock