And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2024, 09:42:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2024, 09:31:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2024, 11:21:38 AMI thought Gladiator took place in some alternative timeline where the Republic was restored after the death of Commodus in the Colosseum. But here I see the Year of the Five Emperors and the Severans happened anyway. Huh.
The Senator's dream was to restore the Republic.  That doesn't mean it happened.

The movie ends with Commodus dying in the arena after being slain by his dying mortal enemy.

Five seconds after the film ended, Pertinax rushed down from the stands and announced he was Emperor. Five seconds later he was killed by the Praetorian Guard.

Lol

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on July 11, 2024, 05:41:47 AMI've gotten free apple TV via barclays. Weird offer but ok (worth a look Brits).
Not sure if there's anything on there I've not already seen bar Silo :hmm:

Ted Lasso.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2024, 11:21:38 AMI thought Gladiator took place in some alternative timeline where the Republic was restored after the death of Commodus in the Colosseum. But here I see the Year of the Five Emperors and the Severans happened anyway. Huh.
The Senator's dream was to restore the Republic.  That doesn't mean it happened.

The movie ends with Commodus dying in the arena after being slain by his dying mortal enemy.

Five seconds after the film ended, Pertinax rushed down from the stands and announced he was Emperor. Five seconds later he was killed by the Praetorian Guard.
Shhh.  Don't spoil the intro for the next movie! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Would be better if Pertinax the emperor was trampled to death by Pertinax the horse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

I wonder if they decided to make Quintus (Maximus's former second in command who betrays him and later betrays Commodus) from the first movie into a Pertinax/Septimus Severus combination with him assuming control of the Empire after the death of Commodus and his sons being Caracalla and Geta who now hold the throne? We've got Macrinus lined up to take over after them in the form of Denzel. It'll be interesting to see if they have Elgabalus show up at all.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 12, 2024, 02:17:21 AMIt'll be interesting to see if they have Elgabalus show up at all.
The American public is not ready for that.  :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Gladiator 1 was a fun action movie, and had little to do with actual history. And based on the trailer it seems G2 will offer more of the same. It's fine by me. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2024, 10:11:47 AMGladiator 1 was a fun action movie, and had little to do with actual history. And based on the trailer it seems G2 will offer more of the same. It's fine by me. :P
Ridley Scott is not a stickler to historical facts??  OMG!  Who would have thought! :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2024, 10:11:47 AMGladiator 1 was a fun action movie, and had little to do with actual history. And based on the trailer it seems G2 will offer more of the same. It's fine by me. :P

Yeah. I appreciate the fact he focuses on obscure Emperors with bad reputations. He can tarnish their legacies in the public mind with few issues.

In fact I always thought Commodus comes off better in the film than he seems to have been in real life. The real Commodus would never have had to courage to murder his Dad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

A POTUS in place since 1997 just because he defeated Russian hijackers?  81 years old and still President?  Black Captain America wasn't enough, Hollywood had turn Hulk red too? :P

It looks interesting though, compared to the recent superheroes flics. :)

Darth Wagtaros

I think Ford is playing THaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross. 
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2024, 03:41:33 PMIt looks interesting though, compared to the recent superheroes flics. :)

Damning with faint praise.  :P
Again.  :D

Syt

I've not watched "Under Paris" about a shark terrorizing the Seine in Paris and have no intention to, but chuckled at a commenter saying they missed a step by not calling it "Chomps Élysées" or "Shark de Triomphe" and that they hope that the movie at least ends with a title card "FIN".  :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2024, 07:08:50 AMI've not watched "Under Paris" about a shark terrorizing the Seine in Paris and have no intention to, but chuckled at a commenter saying they missed a step by not calling it "Chomps Élysées" or "Shark de Triomphe" and that they hope that the movie at least ends with a title card "FIN".  :)

That does sound terrible.
By under Paris I think more that film about finding hell in the catacombs than a shark film. Those titles are indeed better.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 13, 2024, 06:11:53 AMI think Ford is playing THaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross. 
Ah.  That would explain the red Hulk.  :)