News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Air Doll (2009)

A touching story of a man's blow up doll who comes to life; but trouble comes when he brings home another blow up doll.  This is exactly like The Velveteen Rabbit.   :)

;)

Despite the premise this is an elegiac meditation on life, love and what it means to be human.   At two hours it's too long for the story it has; (according to Wikipedia it was based on a 20 page comic book) so it feels really slow paced.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Just found out that lego ripoff playmobil made a ripoff Legoland movie :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2024, 11:52:50 AMJust found out that lego ripoff playmobil made a ripoff Legoland movie :lol:

Playmobil isn't a Lego ripoff. Never seen any building blocks for it, just figures. And you'll not diss on my childhood's might Playmobil army.  :mad:

Syt

Watched the first two episodes of Shogun. Enjoying it a lot so far. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2024, 12:03:01 PMWatched the first two episodes of Shogun. Enjoying it a lot so far. :)

It only gets better :)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

I've just started it and seen the first episode too.
Some serious Disney money on show.
I'm fascinated by the lord of izu guy and his non samuraish way of carrying himself.
And curious the old guy addresses toranaga casually.

Slight nit picks.
Main guy speaks silly. Way too overly posh. Like a pastiche.

And all the name changes of characters who are clearly just historic figures. It's off putting. It's not like there's not plenty of shows set in the era that take massive liberties with the history anyway.
Aye it's the books doing not the show. But still.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I like when shows change names, so dumb people don't think it's a documentary lol. But i can see where it gets dumb. Ponaleon Donerpart :P

Syt

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2024, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2024, 12:03:01 PMWatched the first two episodes of Shogun. Enjoying it a lot so far. :)

It only gets better :)

Makes me wish Paradox would do a Sengoku II - Electric Boogaloo. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

First two episodes of Mandilorian.  So far so good.

celedhring

Late Night with the Devil

This has been making some waves in the horror film fan circles, so I was curious to check it out. The conceit is that this is the recording of a Halloween special of a 1970s talk show, and evil shit happens. I was slightly disappointed by it - it's more a novelty than a well-executed horror film. I was entertained, mind, it has its strong moments and Dastmalchian is terrific as the host.  But the dialogue is a bit meh, the movie cheats the "found footage" PoV a bit too much (which takes me out of the movie), and the actual horror is pretty basic. I think Ghostwatch is a far better execution of that concept.

It does get props for trying something different though, and despite its flaws I was entertained throughout.