News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I agree the teen comedy genre is broadly shit.
But euro trip, American pie, one or two others... These are decent films that rise above the landfill of so much absolute dross.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

The other one to mention - Revenge of the Nerds.  Again Yi might disagree since it's set at university, not high school - but fuck that guy.  It was kind of funny though.

Thing is though it's aged really poorly, with a couple of scenes that frankly meet the definition of rape.  Plus, if you remember, the "nerds" have to join a national fraternity so they join the all-black Tri-Lam fraternity.  And while yes they Tri_lams are on the side of good in the movie, they're still seen as vaguely menacing.  And oh yeah - they get paired with sorority Omage Mu.  While the nerds are well, nerds, at least they get to have personalities and are smart.  Omega Mu is just fat (and besides with a couple of the characters hook up with the hot chicks, not the Omega Mu's).  Really - it's a terrible movie.

By the way also a shout-out for Old School which clearly ISN'T a "teen comedy" given that the main characters are in their 30s-40s) the whole joke is guys in their 30s-40s living out a teen comedy.

But yeah, lots and lots of crap in that category as well.  I think the Simpsons even made fun of the whole genre in the 'Homer goes to University' episode.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Where do John Hughes, Mean Girls, Clueless, Easy A etc (you know, the classics) sit in teen comedies canon?
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 05:31:08 PMWhere do John Hughes, Mean Girls, Clueless, Easy A etc (you know, the classics) sit in teen comedies canon?

Best movie about incest ever.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 05:31:08 PMWhere do John Hughes, Mean Girls, Clueless, Easy A etc (you know, the classics) sit in teen comedies canon?

You tell me.

Mean Girls is an absolute classic I am kicking myself for not mentioning.

John Hughes?  I mean I already cited Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller.  Clearly he's the godfather of the genre.

I don't think I've seen Clueless or Easy A  :blush: but both have great reputations and certainly belong, as you say, as classics.

Since you went in a more female teen-age movie vibe - Heathers.

Admiral Yi

I mentioned a while back that I tried to rewatch Pretty in Pink.  Did not work for me. Molly is still cute but she's actually kind of a cunt in the movie.

No way Revenge of the Nerds is a teen movie.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 05:39:03 PMI mentioned a while back that I tried to rewatch Pretty in Pink.  Did not work for me. Molly is still cute but she's actually kind of a cunt in the movie.

No way Revenge of the Nerds is a teen movie.

Like I said - fuck this guy.

Do you really want to distinguish between high school kids and first year university kids?  I say no.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:36:10 PMYou tell me.
Significantly higher than the pinnacle of Eurotrip :P

But I think the teen comedy genre is fantastic. Love a lot of films even in the Clueless inspired adaptations of classic literature: 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That etc.

QuoteI don't think I've seen Clueless or Easy A  :blush: but both have great reputations and certainly belong, as you say, as classics.
Both fantastic - I'd recommend them.

QuoteSince you went in a more female teen-age movie vibe - Heathers.
Yes :wub: Thought about it but wasn't sure I'd really peg it as a comedy, though it's very funny.

On female teenage movies - really enjoyed Booksmart which came out recently. Raunchier than I expected but very goo.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:40:14 PMLike I said - fuck this guy.

Do you really want to distinguish between high school kids and first year university kids?  I say no.

Manners, tsk, tsk.

Absolutely.  Only half of college kids are teens.  Parents are gone.  No more sneaking around for sex.  No building up to the big Senior Prom.  No jocks and cheerleaders dominating the social scene.  No confrontations/bullying in the cafeteria.  No ditching class hijinks.  No sexy/dorky exchange students.

It's kinda like saying rom-coms are teen movies.

garbon

I'm with Yi. Similar but different.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Recent female teen film: Bottoms. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Pretty in Pink was great. Not quite as good as Breakfast Club but still enjoyable. Yes Molly was a bit of a cunt, but she redeems herself
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 05:49:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:40:14 PMLike I said - fuck this guy.

Manners, tsk, tsk.

Absolutely.  Only half of college kids are teens.  Parents are gone.  No more sneaking around for sex.  No building up to the big Senior Prom.  No jocks and cheerleaders dominating the social scene.  No confrontations/bullying in the cafeteria.  No ditching class hijinks.  No sexy/dorky exchange students.

It's kinda like saying rom-coms are teen movies.

I do what I want. :blurgh:

Other than the "no parents" part, every single aspect can apply to a college-aged movie.  Let's take Animal House.  Lots of hijinks around sex.  Instead of senior prom there was homecoming.  Jocks and cheerleaders definitely dominated the social scene.  There was an iconic cafeteria scene.  Maybe not cutting class but comments about grades.  I don't think there was an exchange student in Animal House, but definitely in other college movies.

It's the same genre in a very slightly different setting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on July 15, 2024, 05:53:18 PMshe redeems herself

Does she ever apologize to the Cusak chick, to whom she was the cuntiest?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:55:22 PMI do what I want. :blurgh:

Other than the "no parents" part, every single aspect can apply to a college-aged movie.  Let's take Animal House.  Lots of hijinks around sex.  Instead of senior prom there was homecoming.  Jocks and cheerleaders definitely dominated the social scene.  There was an iconic cafeteria scene.  Maybe not cutting class but comments about grades.  I don't think there was an exchange student in Animal House, but definitely in other college movies.

It's the same genre in a very slightly different setting.

I said sneaking around for sex.  You're absolutely wrong on jocks in Animal House.  For one thing I don't think one character plays college sports.  The insiders aren't jocks, they're do gooders, ROTC, straight laced, Republicans.  For another we see Animal House throwing an absolute blow out house party that all the hot chicks come to.  There is no establishment equivalent.  There is a cafeteria scene but it's not about bullying.  The point of cafeteria scenes in high school scenes is so bullying can have an audience to amplify the shame.