Battleship the Movie? Monopoly the Movie? Remaking Clue?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2010, 11:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

BuddhaRhubarb

slightly off topic-ish... but WTF with the remake of "Death At A Funeral"? That movie is like 2 years old, and reasonably funny. Were the British accents so impenetrable to Hollywood that they had to remake it in faux Urban? :bleeding:

Weird thing is that they got the same midget from the original. maybe it's a sequel about a midget who tries to extort old dead closet queens?
:p

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2010, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 06:33:37 PM
What other reason is there to go on such a decades long voyage except to found a colony? And what are they going to do when they arrive and find their new home already occupied? Especially as such a trip would almost certainly be a one way affair.

If the aliens arrive using STL means, they will not be peaceful; your premise is flawed.
Why wouldn't they know beforehand?

If they'd known beforehand, they'd have gone someplace easier to colonise?

Besides, a race that has been both aggressive enough to achieve spaceflight and cautious enough to avoid destroying itself is not going to launch such a major effort without preparing for several possibilities.

And given our current level of technology they would not have to be all that prepared. They would have the ultimate "high ground", after all.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 06:23:30 AM
If they'd known beforehand, they'd have gone someplace easier to colonise?
Exactly.  And they'll know beforehand.
QuoteBesides, a race that has been both aggressive enough to achieve spaceflight and cautious enough to avoid destroying itself is not going to launch such a major effort without preparing for several possibilities.
The thing is that they won't be all that aggressive anymore.  It will have been socialized out of them by the time they gain the ability for interstellar flight.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

C.C.R.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2010, 05:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?

Would you find The Mooncricket Chronicle a more reputable source?  The Tar Baby TimesThe Swamp Donkey SunThe Gatorbait Gazette?

The Brain

I saw Gator Bait 2 once. It was not very wholesome I thought, yet strangely compelling.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 11, 2010, 09:35:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2010, 05:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?

Would you find The Mooncricket Chronicle a more reputable source?  The Tar Baby TimesThe Swamp Donkey SunThe Gatorbait Gazette?

Maybe if it was written by Gator Country, yeah.  If they can cover Gators football, they can cover cinema.

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2010, 01:40:56 AM
*shrug* Spielberg and Hanks did OK with Advanced Squad Leader.

I thought that was Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on April 11, 2010, 01:24:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2010, 01:40:56 AM
*shrug* Spielberg and Hanks did OK with Advanced Squad Leader.

I thought that was Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy.

Sorry, not a boardgame.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Man, garbon used to be right about stuff a year ago. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

In theory battleship could, perhaps even should, work. A film about battleships not bogged down by history? Awesome.
This though..almost certainly won't be,
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2011, 01:22:08 AM
In theory battleship could, perhaps even should, work. A film about battleships not bogged down by history? Awesome.
This though..almost certainly won't be,
Jutland would make an awesome movie.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point