Battleship the Movie? Monopoly the Movie? Remaking Clue?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2010, 11:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

WTF is wrong with people.

Making Clue into a movie was possible, but Battleship and Monopoly?

http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/05/20/peter-berg-to-direct-battleship-the-movie/

Peter Berg to Direct Battleship: The Movie?
Posted by Sean on May 20th, 2009   Filed under: Action, Games, Rumours
Source: Hollywood Reporter

While most of us are still trying to figure out how and why Ridley Scott will actually be directing a Monopoly movie, Hasbro and Universal have quietly continued to make the rounds in Hollywood, signing up big name talent for even more movies based on popular board game properties. Back in February they snagged Enchanted director Kevin Lima and Tropic Thunder writer Etan Cohen for Candy Land. Then Gore Verbinski agreed to direct Clue. Now this month it appears that they are close to landing a captain for Battleship as well.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Peter Berg is in talks to direct the movie, from a script that will be written by Jon and Erich Hoeber (Whiteout). If this actually comes to pass, it will be a pretty huge win for Hasbro, who will then be able to slap the tagline, "From the director of Hancock and The Kingdom" on the posters. Not much is known about the movie at this point except that they are planning an "epic naval action adventure" (clearly the Hoeber Bros will have a few gaps to fill in). I will say that this is the first board game movie that actually sounds decent, but realistically, the Battleship name has absolutely nothing to do with it. Would you watch a Battleship movie directed by Peter Berg? Will any of these board game movies actually be worth checking out?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

For crumbs:

"He threatened to kill me in public."
"Why would he want to kill you in public?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

*shrug* Spielberg and Hanks did OK with Advanced Squad Leader.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Well, they did manage to make a couple of ok movies based on a Disney Land ride.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2010, 01:40:56 AM
*shrug* Spielberg and Hanks did OK with Advanced Squad Leader.

My favorite Spielberg film was based on this game:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?

HisMajestyBOB

I hope they keep them true to the source material.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2010, 05:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?
It's not the only place I read there will be aliens involved.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Aggressive space aliens are unrealistic.  Full stop.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.