Scientists discover the reason giant squid eyes are so big.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2012, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Neat!  :)

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/giant-squid-eyes/
QuoteSupersized Squid Eyes Likely Evolved to See Whales

By Dave Mosher
    Email Author
    March 15, 2012 |
    1:55 pm |
    Categories: Animals, Biology

A giant squid's soccer ball-sized eyeballs are three times wider than any other animal's, but explaining why has kept squid researchers busy.

New dissections and computer models offer a lead in the mystery: The enormous peepers evolved to see bioluminescent trails of light left by sperm whales, the squids' great predator.

"Sperm whales can't make sharp turns when diving for food. They have to rely on the prey being unaware it's approaching," said biologist Dan-Eric Nilsson of Lund University. Nilsson's study was published March 15 in Current Biology.

"We think giant and colossal squid eyes have enough sensitivity to see them coming from 120 meters away, and maybe scoot to the side to avoid being eaten," he said.

Giant and colossal squid are the most enormous cephalopods known. Their fully grown bodies — minus eight long arms and two tentacles — extend more than 8 feet long, and their eyes are the world's largest.

Of the handful of specimens recovered, the largest eye measures more than 11 inches wide. Such enormous peepers surely excel at gathering light, and one would expect to see them in other deep-sea animals with room in their skulls. Yet the eyes of swordfish and whales, for example, top out around 3.5 inches wide, or about the size of an orange.

"There's a law of diminishing returns for eyes in the ocean. Bigger eyes can detect the same objects farther away, but eventually it doesn't pay anymore because water is a light-scattering medium," Nilsson said.

Understanding the gargantuan sizes of giant and colossal squid eyes has proven extremely difficult. The biggest challenge is that the creatures live at crushing depths of more than 2,000 feet. Only a handful of specimens have ever surfaced.

"I don't think anyone will tag a live animal in my lifetime," Nilsson said. "They're one of the most difficult-to-observe animals on this planet."

Most specimens recovered are decaying corpses with their water-filled eyes collapsed like deflated balloons, making them difficult to study.

A recent break came in February 2007 when New Zealand fishermen captured and froze a colossal squid. The eyes, thawed in 2008, offered Nilsson and others an unprecedented look at their anatomy.

With accurate measurements in hand, Nilsson and four other researchers set out to model what the giant squids might see. They learned that while the eyes offer little if any gains to close-up vision, the large pupil and huge retina provide an advantage unmatched by any other eye: a light-collection device big enough to detect faint bioluminescence from 400 feet away.

Plankton in seawater emit such bioluminescent light when they're disturbed, generally by large objects such as sperm whales on a hunting dive. (This is also one way even the stealthiest submarines can betray their locations.)

The whales use ultra-loud clicks to scan for objects during dives. Because giant squid are deaf, evolution seemingly got creative with their vision.

Nilsson said the development certainly came with a cost, as eyes are expensive structures to develop and operate.

"Walking flies spend about 20 percent of their electricity bill on their eyes, so to speak, just running the neurons," he said. "We don't know what the costs are for giant squid, but they could cause some significant drag. They are just these massive things."

While Nilsson and his team waits for the world to capture more specimens, they plan to study other ocean animals' vision.

"We want to use the same model to understand other eyes in the ocean," Nilsson said. "We want to know what they can and can't see to better understand their ecologies."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Why natural selection might work on seeing the 40 ton torpedo with 12 feet of 12 inch sharp conical teeth coming from the dark at 20 knots armed with a sonic stun gun before the other squid see it doesn't surprise me at all. Though giving the squid a sense of hearing might do them more good in this case.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Considering we have barely made any contact with giant squids in the wild and have never studied one in captivity, in what sense is it wise to assume they're deaf, when other cephalopods have demonstrated the ability to hear (in a limited fashion) with their statocysts, an organ found also in Architeuthis?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

So the answer to "Why are their eyes so big?" is "The better to see?"  That's not exactly news.  Little girls taking goodies to their grandmothers know that much. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on March 18, 2012, 09:19:26 PM
Considering we have barely made any contact with giant squids in the wild and have never studied one in captivity, in what sense is it wise to assume they're deaf, when other cephalopods have demonstrated the ability to hear (in a limited fashion) with their statocysts, an organ found also in Architeuthis?

When you say "hear" with regards to cephalopods you are referring to their ability to sense movement in the water around them rather than actually directly sensing the sound waves. The squid "sense of hearing" is about as useful in avoiding getting stun gunned by the sperm whales as your sense of touch is useful in you not getting shot.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I don't think Ide's sense of hearing is much use to prevent him from getting shot either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 11:57:47 PM
I don't think Ide's sense of hearing is much use to prevent him from getting shot either.

Well, if the gunman says "Don't move or I shoot!" it might help him a bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2012, 03:11:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 11:57:47 PM

Well, if the gunman says "Don't move or I shoot!" it might help him a bit.

I sort of assumed that Ide would be shot by a hungry whale.