Battleship the Movie? Monopoly the Movie? Remaking Clue?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2010, 11:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on April 10, 2010, 07:26:31 AM
Tetris: the Movie?

I see spikey haired manga boys battling with the blocks yugioh style.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2010, 06:53:57 AM
Aggressive space aliens are unrealistic.  Full stop.
From what I hear they don't come to Earth looking for a fight.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Less unrealistic than peaceful space aliens, imo.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2010, 04:42:54 PM
Not really.  If an alien species is capable of travelling to Earth, they're probably rather peaceful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2010, 04:42:54 PM
Not really.  If an alien species is capable of travelling to Earth, they're probably rather peaceful.

Why? If the travel is STL, the only logical reason to travel in space is to create colonies, which means we'd be in the way sitting here on the Sol System's prime bit of real estate. And if the travel is FTL, then all bets are off as that completely changes the paradigm.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2010, 05:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?

Not to mention posted in May 2009. :D

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2010, 04:56:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2010, 05:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2010, 11:58:09 PM
Objection for Battleship withdrawn

You're basing this on something written in something called the Latino Review? The Latino Review? Really?

Not to mention posted in May 2009. :D
Jesus your stupidity knows no limits Marcin.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 04:52:13 PM
Why? If the travel is STL, the only logical reason to travel in space is to create colonies, which means we'd be in the way sitting here on the Sol System's prime bit of real estate.
They're not going to achieve interstellar spaceflight without annihilating themselves if they are overly aggressive.  And then there's the matter of surviving the actual decades-long voyage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2010, 06:23:42 PM
They're not going to achieve interstellar spaceflight without annihilating themselves if they are overly aggressive.  And then there's the matter of surviving the actual decades-long voyage.

They're not going to survive to evolve into beings capable of understanding spaceflight if they aren't somewhat aggressive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 04:52:13 PM
Why? If the travel is STL, the only logical reason to travel in space is to create colonies, which means we'd be in the way sitting here on the Sol System's prime bit of real estate.

What other reason is there to go on such a decades long voyage except to found a colony? And what are they going to do when they arrive and find their new home already occupied? Especially as such a trip would almost certainly be a one way affair.

If the aliens arrive using STL means, they will not be peaceful; your premise is flawed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2010, 06:26:59 PM

They're not going to survive to evolve into beings capable of understanding spaceflight if they aren't somewhat aggressive.
Indeed.  But social concerns will either chill them out or kill them.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 06:33:37 PM
What other reason is there to go on such a decades long voyage except to found a colony? And what are they going to do when they arrive and find their new home already occupied? Especially as such a trip would almost certainly be a one way affair.

If the aliens arrive using STL means, they will not be peaceful; your premise is flawed.
Why wouldn't they know beforehand?