News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SPANIARDS RALLY TO ME!

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2010, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

WTF is the deal with the weather around Barcelona? We had the car's summer tires placed on to not wear down the winter ones on our upcoming Barcelona trip (this Friday!) but I see freezing temperatures and SNOW?!
What gives?

How fast will this weather will be gone?

Pedrito

Good Luck!
Right now northern Italy is under a snowstorm that, according to forecasts, will last until thursday morning.
The football pitch just outside my office window is blanketed, but the roads around here seem clean enough.

Tomorrow I'll keep you posted.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

All questions regarding meteorology should be directed to Dan Cook, not "SPANIARDS".  KTHX :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

We've had 3 months of cold and snow now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2010, 12:40:56 PM
We've had 3 months of cold and snow now.
Must be fimbulwinter.

Or maybe that was three years long rather than three months.  :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

How odd, I didn't know Barcelona ever got snow.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2010, 11:51:01 AM
WTF is the deal with the weather around Barcelona? We had the car's summer tires placed on to not wear down the winter ones on our upcoming Barcelona trip (this Friday!) but I see freezing temperatures and SNOW?!
What gives?

Why aren't you flying or taking the train?

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2010, 05:03:59 PM
What gives?

Harder to smuggle gypsies in that way :p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2010, 02:22:40 PM

That far North you get snow.

It's a cold place. You should come further South for warmer weather.

Heck, in my city it only snowed twice in the last 80 years, and one of them only lasted about 20 minutes or so before it melted.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 09, 2010, 05:36:37 PM
Heck, in my city it only snowed twice in the last 80 years, and one of them only lasted about 20 minutes or so before it melted.

thats what people in Edmonton say about the month of July.

Josquius

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 09, 2010, 05:36:37 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2010, 02:22:40 PM

That far North you get snow.

It's a cold place. You should come further South for warmer weather.

Cornwall is tropical enough for me.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2010, 05:03:59 PM
What gives?

Because it is roughly the same cost for 4 people, and it is a much bigger adventure :)

Alatriste

What gives?

It's very unusual to see snow in Barcelona, even more so in March (further, this one is the heaviest in at least 25-30 years, making it an extreme oddity). I would expect snow to be completely gone by Friday, but temperature will certainly be quite colder than usual.

By the way, many people don't really understand that Barcelona and Northern Spain in general is roughly in the same latitude that Massachusetts or Hokkaido (and Paris, London, Berlin, Copenhague... are so northern as Newfoundland, Kamchatka and the Yukon). Thanks to the Gulf Stream and the associated winds European winters are usually quite warmer. But sometimes the winds change and come from the East, from Siberia and the Arctic, and then we get some days of snow and freezing temperatures.   

Pedrito

Northern Italy Snow Bulletin:

As this morning, it's snowing on the vast majority of the Po Plain, i.e. all the highways you'll travel through to Spain; it's snowing in all the region from Trieste to Brescia, but it's expected to stop tomorrow (thursday) morning.
Don't know when you're going to pass through Italy, but right now vehicles are stopped by the police before entering the highways to control if they have snow tires/snow chains on board.
Time Friday the weather will change to sunny, and the emergency will cease.

Tonight in Modena it snowed more than 30 centimeters, my car was unrecognizable.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

We will go on Friday morning, moving to Italy through Slovenia.

I am undecided, wether I should pressure my dad to have his car's tires changed back to the winter ones...  :hmm: