News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SPANIARDS RALLY TO ME!

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2010, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2010, 05:20:49 AM
not that anyone cares when there is the all-important topic of Madrid's location in CK, but we have arrived back home safely.

Yesterday morning after check-out we went to the monastery of Montserrat and the amazing rocks and view around it, then proceeded to drive home without stopping for sleep. When I drove, my father (tried to) sleep and vice versa. Needless to say I am somewhat tired.

It's OK, there is no hurry, relax, take a shower and get some Zs. But don't forget to present your report!

Martinus

LOL. Is it normal in the gypsy culture to go by car from Hungary to Spain to watch a football game?

They really aren't like the civilized people, it seems. :(

Tamas

Well...

Barcelona is a nice city to visit, but for some reason I did not get the "I would like to live here" vibe, not sure why. But enjoyed my stay there very much.

Spanish people (or catalonians, at least) don't really eat chicken and pork, do they? Lack of understanding of what was offered in restaurant was quite a limiting factor in trying the local cuisine but there was no offering worth mentioning which was not either beef, or rabbit, or seafood. So I was living on beef and pizzas.

Spanish girls are HOTT.

Predictably, it was very surreal to watch FC Barcelona live. All the very familiar faces seen actually a few meters from you and not on a TV screen. Heck, I even recognized one of the stuff near us because he was regularly shown on TV during corners. :D

On our way there, we stopped in a small mountain town in Liguria. Not only I did not comprehend the difficulty of finding the bed and breakfast place on the extremely narrow streets (I guess there was a reason why we had the only SUV there), once we arrived came the realization: the old couple, our hosts, fooled me by having their reply e-mail written by their neighbor. Because they did not speak a single word of english. But at least they knew how to save money by turning off the heating in our cellar room during the night, and giving us a dry meat-free breakfast.

By far, Italians has the best motorway toll system by the way. Near the French-Italian border we had to stop regularly to throw coins in big baskets on the french roads. Not to mention the lottery-like inclusion or exclusion of cash-accepting booths. Luckily I had my company Amex card with me so that took care of that problem. Altough on our way back, during the evening in Italy, my dad decided it was wise to overtake an annoying truck right before the toll booths and ended up charging into a place where you could only proceed with some kind of pre-paid subscription card thingie. "Luckily" we had police nearby who had the gate opened, then one of them showed (not speaking Teh Language) his ill feelings toward my father's maneuver (badly hiding his amusement over the fact of dealing with foreign-speaking people who are clueless about local customs). We exited the motorway at the first possible moment, got local assistance and thus re-entered it, this time legally.

Let's see, what else... southern france is windy as fuck. The coast around Monaco and such was very nice.

It was great to travel through 4 different countries, dealing with locals along the way, seeing a beautiful city, a good game of football, and managing to not kill ourselves when we did a 20 hours drive in one sitting.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2010, 04:10:34 AM
LOL. Is it normal in the gypsy culture to go by car from Hungary to Spain to watch a football game?

They really aren't like the civilized people, it seems. :(

I understand you have no concept of this because you travel from one downtown to the next, but the travel itself was as much part of the experience as the game.
Not everyone travels just to drink the exact same cocktails he drinks at home, you know.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2010, 09:14:31 AM
Your wagon is fast.  :)

It was faster on the way home, because they exchanged the beet during the journey for food, gasoline and shelter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2010, 04:10:34 AMLOL. Is it normal in the gypsy culture to go by car from Hungary to Spain to watch a football game?
Weren't you one of those people that don't even have a driver's license?

EDIT: Some of the best trips I made in my life were roadtrips. Not having a car makes a lot of interesting spots unreachable.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive