News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Income Tax Refund Taxed as Income?

Started by Jacob, March 17, 2010, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Mart pays his taxes in hunks of black bread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Well we have provicial taxes as well as federal here in Canada as well. When I was in Japan I paid a flat 5% Fed tax, and another 5.5 for local. (this goes as high as 7.5 % iirc the closer you are to the Big cities in Tokyo, like Shinjuku, or Shibuya )

Isn't it fairly normal to pay different levels of government at income tax time?

I don't think we pay prov tax on the fed money here though, it's more of a combo payment. I could be wrong. despite doing my taxes myself every year... correctly, I might add. I'm better at following instructions that getting the concepts :blush: :prole:
:p

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2010, 08:21:24 AM

I thought he just had to pull a plow one day a week for his Lord.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 18, 2010, 12:02:08 PM
I don't think we pay prov tax on the fed money here though, it's more of a combo payment. I could be wrong. despite doing my taxes myself every year... correctly, I might add. I'm better at following instructions that getting the concepts :blush: :prole:

We do it differently here Buddha.  Your Provincial tax and Federal tax are paid together to the Federal Government and the Feds remit that provincial portion to the Province.

Although in Quebec they might do things differently.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2010, 12:06:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2010, 08:21:24 AM

I thought he just had to pull a plow one day a week for his Lord.

Jesus is King.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2010, 12:55:19 PM

We do it differently here Buddha.  Your Provincial tax and Federal tax are paid together to the Federal Government and the Feds remit that provincial portion to the Province.

We do but at the end of the day, it's just more bureaucracy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2010, 12:55:19 PM

that's what I meant by a "combo" thing. It's all part of one return. But it doesn't seem like you are paying either on top of the other to me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Actually I was thinking of getting some software to do my taxes this year, as I totally bollocksed the rrsp thing last year.