News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Battle for Normandy is due out soon.  Should prove fun.  Some yuckster already modded the map in true, fanboi fashion :

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2009, 06:51:11 PM
The game will get to me when Valley Games proves that they're a real company by shipping relatively on time.

They are, thus far, stating that they'll get the shipment in when US Customs finishes poking through the container holding all the stuff.  I suspect the game will actually get to me in early January.

Meanwhile, the rules have been posted online.  Anyone interested in playing should go ahead and read them :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50461

I was in a gaming group meetup last weekend and Torben from Valley Games was there and he was griping about the game being held up.  Sounded like he was working hard at trying to get it resolved but that the issue was out of his control. 

Habbaku

While I believe them when they say that the shipping stuff is out of their control and that Customs is messing them up at the moment, I am not really inclined to give them much slack or even necessarily believe them at face-value on some of the other delays that the game has gone through due to their mishandling of the other games they've made.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2009, 09:16:57 PM
Battle for Normandy is due out soon.

CSW says its available now.  Gonna get it next week. Merry Xmas to me.

Habbaku

Well, it is technically available.  I'm awaiting that and Battle Above the Clouds.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

Played Conflict of Heroes, great fun. Really happy with it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

I haven't finished reading the Carthage rules (is there a lot of them or what), but I must say I am mildly intriqued. It's been a while I attempted a theme>gameplay game.
Any expert opinion on the game system in general?

Tamas

Habbaku, I am just about ready to try a PBEM of Carthage.

Tamas

Carthage is actually quite fun  :D
The game uses a chit-drawing activation system which is quite good I think because not only it makes the game quite solitaire friendly, it eliminates much of the lack-of-FOW problems.

I am running a solitaire 1st Punic War game, after getting a taste in the Mercenary War scenario.
After 6 years of back-and-forth fighting the Carthage-Syracuse alliance seemed to get the upper hand, having defeated both Consular Armies, one being locked up in Messana under siege of Hiero, Tyrant of Syracuse, and attriting away under Carthagian blockade, the other only a shell of it former self, waiting for disbandment hiding behind the walls of one of the minor cities.
A third force of 2 legions was about to besiege Syracuse, but a punic fleet drove away the Roman blockade which made the whole affair just about hopeless, even without the victorious Carthagian army full of elite Numidian cavalry coming upon them from western Sicily.

And this is when, in a hurry to use Messana as a hiding place while the Puns deal with the 2 legions in his back, Hiero attempted Treachery to finish the job on Messana. However, I roll an extremely bad roll for him and he ended up being trapped by the assumed conspirators and killed  :D Now the Syracuse forces are basically immobilized and Rome still has a safe foothold on Sicily.

The Larch

We tried Caylus yesterday. Had lots of fun, but my brain hurt by the end of the game. Curiously enough, I think it's a game better suited for a small group (2-3 people) rather than the usually recommended 4-5 group.

Tamas

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on January 08, 2010, 07:48:11 AM
So many games to look forward to:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50061/your-most-anticipated-wargames-of-2010/page/1

:)

Hilarious, a argument over the title of one game. Thanks Tamas, I would have missed the hilarity.  :D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I'll order Pax Baltica, okay?

Damn Swedes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2010, 10:23:37 AM
I'll order Pax Baltica, okay?

Damn Swedes.

Seems fair. For every game about America you get you have to get one about Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.