News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

I'm really looking forward to Maria.  I'm hoping it'll smooth out some of the problems of Friedrich while maintaining the elegance of the original game.

LaCroix

i'm very new to boardgames (aside from your usual: monopoly, risk, scrabble, life, etc), and i thought i would introduce myself by purchasing one for a friend for her upcoming birthday. her interests are evolution, genetics, animals, and really anything scientific (she thinks space is silly, though, go figure). complexity isn't a problem, but the number of players might be. i don't have any sort of gaming group, so it would likely be just us plus maybe the occasional third. american megafauna seems the way to go, from what i've read on this boardgamegeek site. would anyone have any experience with it, good or bad, or any other suggestions?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Habbaku on December 02, 2009, 10:25:58 PM
:lol:  Who's sockpuppet?
i don't know which is worse.. "wtfau" or that. "wtfau" at least implies i'm a person!  :lol:

i would deny that i'm sockpuppet, but i don't know if it would help. either way, would you have any ideas? unless i'm mistaken, you know your boardgames.

Tamas

Yes Jaron, Megafauna is a good idea  :lol:

Tamas

Oh, and Carthage has been ordered

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 02, 2009, 04:27:34 PM
and have just traded it off to some OCS-tard

They certainly have become their own breed, now haven't they?

Jaron

Lacroix is not me. I wouldnt even play your crap evolution games on a sockpuppet, Tamas.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Lettow77

Twilight Struggle has got to be one of my favourite games ever.

Stopping communism in its tracks feels so monumentally satisfying. The game itself is gripping, because at all points im watching the communists TAKE OVER THE WORLD. There's an incentive to stick with it, the game is fast and non-repetitive. I am definetely pleased.

Edit: I cant prove anything, but I am fairly sure I know who Lacroix is. Not a sock puppet, in that case. Used to go by Zhouvas in the old forum- maybe 50 posts the whole run.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

LaCroix

what's the problem with american megafauna:unsure:

Jaron

Quote from: Lacroix on December 03, 2009, 08:55:34 AM

Mostly the fact Tamas recommends it.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on December 03, 2009, 09:02:48 AM
Quote from: Lacroix on December 03, 2009, 08:55:34 AM

Mostly the fact Tamas recommends it.

and that you abandoned a game of it :P

Lacroix, its a nice game but interest in the subject matter is very much required.

LaCroix

if that's the case, perfect. looks like i'll be picking it up. thanks!  :)

LaCroix

also: does anyone recommend paths of glory?

ulmont

Quote from: Lacroix on December 04, 2009, 08:36:19 PM
also: does anyone recommend paths of glory?

Paths of Glory is a great game.  Watch your supply lines.