Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I own SPQR Deluxe, haven't played it. Likely never will.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Mark Simonitch's The Caucasus Campaign came today and I've already punched and set it up.  Looks good and the rules aren't too long, but seem complex enough to make it enjoyable.

The Russian opening position looks fucked...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Still having trouble deciding on what, if anything, I want to buy from GMT with their 50% off sale.  I qualify for three or four games or something, but don't really, really want anything.

Tamas, do you want to work out something for us both to buy so that we can do PBEM?  I'm looking, specifically, at Carthage or SPQR : Deluxe, since BGG gives them both decent rankings.  I'm open to suggestion, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2009, 05:39:47 PM
I'm looking, specifically, at Carthage

Very nice game, IMHO.  Not too big considering what it covers.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2009, 05:39:47 PM
Still having trouble deciding on what, if anything, I want to buy from GMT with their 50% off sale.  I qualify for three or four games or something, but don't really, really want anything.

Tamas, do you want to work out something for us both to buy so that we can do PBEM?  I'm looking, specifically, at Carthage or SPQR : Deluxe, since BGG gives them both decent rankings.  I'm open to suggestion, though.

Sure. I am covered with lightweight games for my slightly-gamer RL friends, so I would indeed prefer some more serious stuff for pbem. Will look into the options.

Tamas

I have been eyeing Carthage for a while now. It looks both extremely tempting and extremely intimidating. With a 50% pricecut, it might just worth it. But, it is on sale I think anyhow :D For $35. If thats a general sale of it, I'll be ordering it beside my 50% pick.

As for SPQR Deluxe, I am not big on tactical simulations. Especially that Slitherine will soon be coming out with a ancient-era miniature rules conversion that previewers seem to like.

So, any other suggestions?

PRC

If Flying Colors was available from GMT i'd be all over it.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:08:14 AM
I have been eyeing Carthage for a while now. It looks both extremely tempting and extremely intimidating. With a 50% pricecut, it might just worth it. But, it is on sale I think anyhow :D For $35. If thats a general sale of it, I'll be ordering it beside my 50% pick.

It is, indeed, on sale at the moment--but the extra discount also applies to it.  Basically, it's $17.50 before shipping or anything else is applied, which is why I considered it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 20, 2009, 12:26:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:08:14 AM

It is, indeed, on sale at the moment--but the extra discount also applies to it.  Basically, it's $17.50 before shipping or anything else is applied, which is why I considered it.

Well, for that price you're getting a lot of game.

Habbaku

Yep, which is why I will, in the end, make an order of it.  Just trying to decide whether I want to add Blue vs. Gray or another ancients game or not.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

I'm not going to buy it but I got hard when I saw the Adolf Hitler counter in BERLIN - Fall of the 3rd Reich (ASL).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Meanwhile, my investment scheme into DAK2 ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12234 ) worked out great.  I bought it when it originally came out for the pre-order price and have just traded it off to some OCS-tard for a trio of games that are all in great condition (one even unpunched!).

Hammer of the Scots :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3685

Liberte! :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2507

And the unpunched one--another game from Azure Wish :

Rossyia 1917 :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/288

Now I just need time to play some of them...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Hammer is simple enough for a chick to play.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Yeah, that's actually the one I'm likely to play first with a friend of mine.  His dad is also due in town for the holidays, too, so we're probably going to swing a game of Maria near Christmas, as well.

-J. R. R. Tolkien