News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 04:17:53 PM
I've been laying off buying any new games, anticipating the year end Christmas sales.

I'm gonna rape my credit card.

And the sales start, but the one retailer starting early doesn't use an online order form.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2009, 12:28:15 AM
Bookmarked that. :blush:

The playtest group that's been formed on Yahoo-Groups has some pretty interesting chatter on it.  Unfortunately, it also has the usual cadre of people who want to design a game by proxy and so don't quite get that the designer has already laid down the basis of the game and just wants people to kick the tires where necessary.

Still, it looks to be pretty neat thus far.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 10, 2009, 10:20:15 PM
Unfortunately, it also has the usual cadre of people who want to design a game by proxy and so don't quite get that the designer has already laid down the basis of the game and just wants people to kick the tires where necessary.

Well I suppose that naturally follows when you see things like this on Consim:

It may be that after the death of Henry III it is assumed the Valois dynasty is over and France operates with a 0 Admin Rating and no card bonuses. But I'm up for suggestions on how to untangle that web if anyone has some.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 07, 2009, 01:05:13 PM
Wasn't there a free version of this posted online somewhere, complete with decent graphics?

Yes and IIRC GW finally closed them down. Maybe when the current Space Hulk project got the go-ahead.

I think I have it on my other computer.

Found it : http://www.teardown.se/
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

This looks pretty neat : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38309

Not sure if I will buy a copy or not, but I'm certainly considering it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on October 19, 2009, 07:48:03 PM

I couldn't find a "Eradicate Martinus' Forefathers" option, so I'd pass.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 08:34:08 PM

You could just lose on purpose by using the "Liberum Veto" option over and over again each turn.  Poland then sinks into the swamp 100 years early.  Win-win, as far as I can tell.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

God certainly has a sense of humor.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2009, 09:51:47 AM
God certainly has a sense of humor.
At least until God's recess is over and she has to leave God's Playground to go back to God's Kindergarten Class and use God's Fingerpaint Set.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 08:34:08 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 19, 2009, 07:48:03 PM

That is in the expansion, God's Slip and Slide.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Delirium

I ordered OCS Burma yesterday, will make a solid effort to finally get my head wrapped around that system, people keep going on about it.

Plus I've played a lot of Twilight Struggle recently. Fucking hell, that is a good game.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ulmont

Quote from: Delirium on October 21, 2009, 10:22:26 AM
I've played a lot of Twilight Struggle recently. Fucking hell, that is a good game.

:yes:

The Brain

It's an RPG but whatever, I bought Rogue Trader.

It's a nice volume similar to all the other Warhammer 40k RPG books. Some lack of proofreading though: sacred/scared, sight/site... running spellcheck doth not proofreading make. Some strange use of "contemporaries", seems to mean colleagues.