News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2009, 01:02:39 PM
If it's a remake of the original Space Hulk (of which I played the C64 version called Space Crusade) then yes, it should be. The enemies are controlled by a set of rules and chances. Only the space marines are human controlled IIRC. So in single player you can go in with a single squad. Of course the game is much more fun when you have to compete for the objective.  :menace:

Wasn't Space Crusade slightly different from Space Hulk? Anyway, in Space Hulk one player plays the marines and one player plays the stealers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on September 07, 2009, 01:05:13 PM
Wasn't there a free version of this posted online somewhere, complete with decent graphics?

Yes and IIRC GW finally closed them down. Maybe when the current Space Hulk project got the go-ahead.

I think I have it on my other computer.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 01:13:49 PM
Yes and IIRC GW finally closed them down. Maybe when the current Space Hulk project got the go-ahead.

I think I have it on my other computer.

:(  I had fun with it for several days.  If you find it, please let me know.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 01:12:15 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2009, 01:02:39 PM
If it's a remake of the original Space Hulk (of which I played the C64 version called Space Crusade) then yes, it should be. The enemies are controlled by a set of rules and chances. Only the space marines are human controlled IIRC. So in single player you can go in with a single squad. Of course the game is much more fun when you have to compete for the objective.  :menace:

Wasn't Space Crusade slightly different from Space Hulk? Anyway, in Space Hulk one player plays the marines and one player plays the stealers.

There was later a real time version with 3D tile based movement (like Eye of the Beholder) IIRC for Amiga and PC. You had four little windows for the four marines.

This is the Space Crusade version, faithful to the board game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/space-crusade

And this was Space Hulk:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/space-hulk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Yes but wasn't Space Crusade (the boardgame) slightly different from Space Hulk (the boardgame)?

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 01:49:08 PM
Yes but wasn't Space Crusade (the boardgame) slightly different from Space Hulk (the boardgame)?

No idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Here's something interesting on the horizon from CoA...

QuoteLegion of Honor  - is an innovative card game that recreates the personal drama of the Napoleonic Wars.

Using a quick playing, card-driven game system, each player assumes the role of a French soldier - or grognard- starting out as a young sergeant or sous-lieutenant trying to make it in life starting in 1792. Fortunately for the enterprising grognard, he can look forward to over twenty years of continuous war provided courtesy of the Directory and Napoleon!

Against the historical backdrop of major historical events that span the period from the Brunswick Manifesto to The Hundred Days, grognards take advantage of the opportunities that Fate provides to advance their station in life. Or not!

Winning the game is achieved in a number of ways: having the highest award in the Legion of Honor, having the highest military rank or having the most glory or wealth.

The game is entirely suitable solitaire play through six players.

Components:

* 200 color playing cards;
    * 140 cardboard counters;
    * Exclusive rulebook with Rules Summary Sheet;
    * 6 Grognard/Ledger sheets;
    * 1 Campaign Sheet;
    * 1 Opportunity Sheet;
    * 1 History Sheet
    * 1 Fate Sheet & Fair Sex Sheet.

Habbaku

Okay, that does seem pretty cool.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

The Brain

Oh, and good sex is never fair.

Kleves

The Hell of Stalingrad is on its way.  ^_^
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

I just cut out and assembled the Space Hulk terminators.

Pros: The sculpts are excellent with dynamic and individual poses and great detail, especially considering that they are 2-4 piece push-together-no-glue-necessary minis. A triumph of the technical side of miniature design.

Cons: You do need to be VERY careful when cutting them out since the little chains and skulls and whatnot are just dying to snap. I managed to avoid any accidents but I can certainly see stuff like the sergeants' prom queen thingies coming off during transport. They also accessorize like crazy, the most flaming fag would think twice before dressing up like they do (and the typical fag isn't even going into combat in dirty and cramped corridors). The models also have a lot of Blood Angels symbols on them so if you want to paint them up like other chapters you have some explaining to do.

Other: the plastic is a little bit softer than the GW standard I think (but still hard plastic, no problem painting them).

Gonna start on the Genestealers, they should be a little easier since they don't have the same amount of tiny shit all over them.

The Brain

I assembled the genestealers and punched out the counters and corridors/rooms. Very thick cardboard with high quality print.

In addition to the terminators and genestealers there's 3 other models: a scouting bot thing, a holy artefact and my favorite a long dead terminator sitting on a throne. Pretty cool.

There are no compartments in the box for storing the stuff so everything just goes in a royal mess. They should have solved the storage better I think for this price and considering the somewhat fragile models.

CountDeMoney