News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 07:10:30 PM
Hmm. Is Pursuit comparable to Paths of Glory in its complexity? What don't you like about UKC?

No, not at all.  It has a few new concepts added entirely (national collapse, Jihad, naval invasions) and lots of exceptions loaded into the game, along with varying troop strengths, which PoG only dabbled in.

UKC is a fun game, but if I had the opportunity to play one of the other two I would do so.  It's a bit too "non-wargamey" for me, but I still like it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I am still waiting for Caliga to start a VASSAL game of PuG :(

Which is I think is my favourite game in my collection.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 09:10:58 AM
Just ordered the updated countersheet 11 for A World At War, and the expansion set for Gringo!.
Fahdiz did not.

Tuesday night, and it's still not shipped.  :mad:  GMT Games drops a notch.  :mad:

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2009, 07:25:50 PM
Tuesday night, and it's still not shipped.  :mad:  GMT Games drops a notch.  :mad:

GMT never updates their shit on the shipping status side of things.  You'll get it in a couple of days and then it'll update to "in the mail."

I get shipping updates from them about stuff I received three days prior all the time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Hey, Habby: you're a CDG cardshark, you see this news?

QuoteNew England Simulations is pleased to announce that it has agreed to publish John Firer's game of the unification of Germany and Italy, Age of Bismarck.

The map:
http://talk.consimworld.com/[email protected]@.1dcdf52f!enclosure=.1dd06d47

If NES's other productions are anything to go by, it should be a lights out product.

Habbaku

Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes on that one for a while.  I actually pre-ordered several months ago based on the playtest map.

As excited/interested I am in it, I'm wary about the designer (John Firer).  The guy is definitely hit and miss, but when paired with a good developer he can do a good job.  Neil Randall, for example, would let him get away with too much.

That the posts about it from the NES guys indicated that they'd "make any changes pre-publication that they considered necessary" encourages me quite a bit more, though.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 19, 2009, 09:23:01 PM
That the posts about it from the NES guys indicated that they'd "make any changes pre-publication that they considered necessary" encourages me quite a bit more, though.

Yes, they've managed to maintain quality work.  Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't published more.

CountDeMoney

Just ordered the updated countersheet 11 for A World At War, and the expansion set for Gringo!.
Fahdiz did not.

The Big Brown Truck better show on Saturday, dammit.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Broke down and bought some Federation Commander shit.  Klingon Border, Romulan Border, Klingon Attack and Romulan Attack expansions.

Star Fleet Battles, how I've missed you.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2009, 06:34:10 PM
Fahdiz did not.

The Big Brown Truck better show on Saturday, dammit.  :mad:

Stupid GMT. :mad:
CERRITOS, CA, US     08/20/2009     4:31 A.M.     DEPARTURE SCAN

Scheduled Delivery Date:
    08/25/2009

The Brain

Is Europe Engulfed/Asia Engulfed any good?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Cool. If I'm gonna get an RL friend to play WW2 the game can't have 150 pages of rules.

Berkut

I played AE for the first time at WBC - the rules seem very hard to grasp until you play a turn, then they click and you realize they are actually very easy.

I really want to play AE more - I think there is a very interesting dilemma there for the Japanese.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

While browsing I happened to spot a block game covering the Great Northern War, newly released. Pax Baltica: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42328

I have no idea if it is playable. I ordered it for completeness if nothing else.