New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Of these games, which two should I get:

The Hell of Stalingrad
Unhappy King Charles
Pursuit of Glory
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

How difficult (rules-wise) are THoS and PoG? Is UKC easier than either?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

UKC is the middle of the three, Pursuit being the most difficult by far.

THoS is pretty easy to grasp, but Pursuit is definitely a chrome-filled behemoth for anyone not used to CDG mechanics or wargames.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Hmm. Is Pursuit comparable to Paths of Glory in its complexity? What don't you like about UKC?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 05:02:25 PM
Of these games, which two should I get:

The Hell of Stalingrad
Unhappy King Charles
Pursuit of Glory

Can't speak for the other two, but The Hell of Stalingrad is a fucking hoot.  Fast, bloody, easy to grasp, and nothing makes me giggle more than playing the "Collecting Tongues" card.

The Brain

:huh: Collecting Tongues assumes command?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2009, 07:28:33 PM
I think he is recommending buying some books at militaryhistorypress.com :mellow:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

I can't find THoS cheap enough for my taste, so I'll go with PoG for now. Thanks for the input, guys. :thumbsup:

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2009, 12:06:23 AM
I think he is recommending buying some books at militaryhistorypress.com :mellow:

I am not a discriminating reader.  :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

I've played A Touch of Evil a few times. Looks much better on the inside than what is given away by the hideous box and is a pretty fun game, although we feel it is a bit over-produced, a lot of different card decks that are only used a few times per game and game play itself is a bit repetitive. I recommend staying away from co-op play, unless you consort with casual gamers only.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on August 16, 2009, 01:15:35 AM
I can't find THoS cheap enough for my taste, so I'll go with PoG for now. Thanks for the input, guys. :thumbsup:

BoulderGames was selling it for less than $45.  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2009, 12:06:23 AM

"Books as pretty as the times they portray.  Don't let children touch them."

CountDeMoney

Just ordered the updated countersheet 11 for A World At War, and the expansion set for Gringo!.
Fahdiz did not.

Kleves

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 06:33:46 AM
BoulderGames was selling it for less than $45.  :huh:
That's where I was going to buy it, but they're out of stock.