News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2009, 09:26:00 PM
Here's something interesting on the horizon from CoA...

QuoteLegion of Honor  - is an innovative card game that recreates the personal drama of the Napoleonic Wars.

Using a quick playing, card-driven game system, each player assumes the role of a French soldier - or grognard- starting out as a young sergeant or sous-lieutenant trying to make it in life starting in 1792. Fortunately for the enterprising grognard, he can look forward to over twenty years of continuous war provided courtesy of the Directory and Napoleon!

Against the historical backdrop of major historical events that span the period from the Brunswick Manifesto to The Hundred Days, grognards take advantage of the opportunities that Fate provides to advance their station in life. Or not!

Winning the game is achieved in a number of ways: having the highest award in the Legion of Honor, having the highest military rank or having the most glory or wealth.

The game is entirely suitable solitaire play through six players.

Components:

* 200 color playing cards;
    * 140 cardboard counters;
    * Exclusive rulebook with Rules Summary Sheet;
    * 6 Grognard/Ledger sheets;
    * 1 Campaign Sheet;
    * 1 Opportunity Sheet;
    * 1 History Sheet
    * 1 Fate Sheet & Fair Sex Sheet.

That looks like great fun. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

I just ordered 1805: Sea of Glory along with Endeavor and the reprint of Ra.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PRC on September 20, 2009, 09:47:58 PM
I just ordered 1805: Sea of Glory along with Endeavor and the reprint of Ra.

I goofed around with Ra at my local game store not too long ago.  Fun times.

Habbaku

Quote from: PRC on September 20, 2009, 09:47:58 PM
I just ordered 1805: Sea of Glory

Ah, Sea of Mauve.  Looks like fun, but I think I'll hold off until decent reviews come in, if they ever do.  The map is damned ugly, though.

On my side of things, I've purchased a lot of solitaire stuff lately.  Specifically two games by John Butterfield :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29603 D-Day at Omaha Beach.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40209 RAF : The Battle of Britain.

And a third that I'll probably get played at some point in the near future which is for four players : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12891 Friedrich.

Thus far, I think the D-Day game is a bit of a slog (yuk yuk) and am not sure if it's worth the effort.  The RAF game, however, is proving to be pretty damned fun by itself.  Add in the fact that it's actually 3 games in one (RAF : Eagle, RAF : Lion and a 2-player version that combines them both, albeit with different rules) and I think I definitely got a bargain on that one.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 09:52:21 PM
I goofed around with Ra at my local game store not too long ago.  Fun times.

Very tense little auction game, it's a very fun filler for sure.

The Brain

I got Chaos in the Old World from FFG. Haven't read the rules or played it yet.

Lot of empty space in the box that could have been filled with more plastic figures.  :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Quote from: Habbaku on September 20, 2009, 10:55:03 PM
Ah, Sea of Mauve.  Looks like fun, but I think I'll hold off until decent reviews come in, if they ever do.  The map is damned ugly, though.

Having received it and played (soloed) it I can say it's very good, I like it a lot.  But i'm a big fan of the period / naval theme and I think that really helps.  For someone who isn't interested in the naval theme of that day, blockade, evasion, it might be a little dull.

Habbaku

MMP added a whole mess of stuff to their pre-order lists yesterday.  Predictably, most of it looks like shit, but a few caught my eye :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31790

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42783

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on October 07, 2009, 09:31:43 PM
MMP added a whole mess of stuff to their pre-order lists yesterday.  Predictably, most of it looks like shit, but a few caught my eye :

I really, really, really want Angola.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2009, 10:02:09 PM

You and me, both.  Too bad the developer's a fuckhead.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on October 07, 2009, 10:02:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2009, 10:02:09 PM

You and me, both.  Too bad the developer's a fuckhead.

:lol:
Well, I chalk him up to being artistic and snarky.  But he's not as bad as the Berg Collective.

Habbaku

I am doing my part by boycotting any further Berg games.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

I've been laying off buying any new games, anticipating the year end Christmas sales.

I'm gonna rape my credit card.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

The Here I Stand sequel, Virgin Queen, is now in beta testing.  Forum here: http://talk.consimworld.com/[email protected]@.1dd437e5

Lettow77

Played hellgame. It's a good alternative to diplomacy for college kids, I think. At least, they'll play this, but not diplomacy.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'