News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Has anyone here played "Friedrich"?  I picked it up in a bargain bin for $15.00 recently.

frunk

Friedrich's one of my favorites.  The rules are pretty easy, only a few exceptions, games take 2 1/2-5 hours each, but expect some lopsided victories the first few times you play.  If you are looking for a wealth of historical detail in the battles you won't find it, combat is heavily abstracted.  The map is a beautiful thing in and of itself.  Playing as Friedrich is a stressful but rewarding experience, you are continually under pressure from every player.

Check and see if you have first or second edition,  the major differences are that the second edition fixed a couple of errors on the map, uses better counters for marking control, and has both a German and English Deck of Fate.

PRC

Quote from: frunk on August 25, 2009, 12:11:44 PM
Friedrich's one of my favorites.  The rules are pretty easy, only a few exceptions, games take 2 1/2-5 hours each, but expect some lopsided victories the first few times you play.  If you are looking for a wealth of historical detail in the battles you won't find it, combat is heavily abstracted.  The map is a beautiful thing in and of itself.  Playing as Friedrich is a stressful but rewarding experience, you are continually under pressure from every player.

Check and see if you have first or second edition,  the major differences are that the second edition fixed a couple of errors on the map, uses better counters for marking control, and has both a German and English Deck of Fate.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I don't know what edition I have, i'll have to check later.

Habbaku

New game (due out in November) for Seedy to buy and never play.  I think I'll be getting this.  Battalion-level, team game for Normandy!

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-213-the-battle-for-normandy.aspx
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Of course, a King Tiger on the sample counters...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 28, 2009, 05:48:18 PM
New game (due out in November) for Seedy to buy and never play.  I think I'll be getting this.  Battalion-level, team game for Normandy!

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-213-the-battle-for-normandy.aspx

Hmmm, veddy interestink.  The map layout is practically the same one from The Longest Day--

--which, while an oldie but a goodie, suffers from age.   And those goddamned German unit designations I could never get a handle on.

Did you ever get The Killing Ground and the Overlord expansion?  FWIW, a top notch production by NES on the same scale.

PDH

It does have that map layout...I wonder if has those hidden little Ost-Battalion setup sites on the map that one can never find?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2009, 11:07:43 PM
Did you ever get The Killing Ground and the Overlord expansion?  FWIW, a top notch production by NES on the same scale.

Nope.  Certainly on the radar, though.  I'm hoping to get a look at a copy up close (and maybe read the rules) before I buy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2009, 12:10:10 PM
I bought A Touch Of Evil. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35815

I am not sure why they bother with an original music CD (just like in Last Night On Earth), but the game itself should be cool.
Which of the two is better, IYHO?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Quote from: Scipio on August 30, 2009, 07:45:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2009, 12:10:10 PM
I bought A Touch Of Evil. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35815

I am not sure why they bother with an original music CD (just like in Last Night On Earth), but the game itself should be cool.
Which of the two is better, IYHO?

I have only played Earth twice and Evil once, but I would say Earth. There is more player interaction in Earth (since the bad guys are player controlled) and Evil is a bit like a simplified version of Arkham Horror (not necessarily a bad thing, but for instance the challenges encountered on the cards feel samey compared to the more varied cards in Arkham).

They are both fun games, though probably not with extreme replayability.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Just got Space Hulk. Heavy box. Great new game smell. Nice detailed figures, but obviously the Space Marines are packed with GW's patented OTT accessories. "I'm going into combat in space, of course I must look like a christmas tree"

Never played Space Hulk back in the day, haven't read the rules yet.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 12:32:20 PM
Just got Space Hulk. Heavy box. Great new game smell. Nice detailed figures, but obviously the Space Marines are packed with GW's patented OTT accessories. "I'm going into combat in space, of course I must look like a christmas tree"

are they pre-painted? are the rules solitaire-friendly?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 07, 2009, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2009, 12:32:20 PM

are they pre-painted? are the rules solitaire-friendly?

No. I know dick about the rules.

Syt

If it's a remake of the original Space Hulk (of which I played the C64 version called Space Crusade) then yes, it should be. The enemies are controlled by a set of rules and chances. Only the space marines are human controlled IIRC. So in single player you can go in with a single squad. Of course the game is much more fun when you have to compete for the objective.  :menace:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Wasn't there a free version of this posted online somewhere, complete with decent graphics?

-J. R. R. Tolkien