News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Delirium on December 14, 2009, 12:18:03 PM
Carthage: cheap, impossible to stay awake.

The game seems well-suited for PBEM.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Yeah, I mean it looks really interesting and I bought it too when it was not quite so cheap but I never managed to keep myself focused during those long rules paragraphs. But it's definitely on my list of "I swear to play this before I die" games.

I've played a couple of Richard III games (Columbia's new block game), really neat. It is my first block game though, so I might just be infatuated with the system.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Kleves

'Tis the season... to ask for board game recommendations. Anyone have any? Generally, the easier to play, the better.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PDH

Quote from: Kleves on December 14, 2009, 05:32:00 PM
'Tis the season... to ask for board game recommendations. Anyone have any? Generally, the easier to play, the better.

SPI's Campaign For North Africa.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Kleves

Quote from: PDH on December 14, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
SPI's Campaign For North Africa.
The pasta thing is a rule too far for me.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Anybody have any experience using the Vassal module for Flat Top?  Or is Cyberboard the only option for a double-blind game?

Tamas

Habbaku when are you getting Republic of Rome? I am very in the mood of playing it but I have no desire to GM. Why do you need the new edition for it anyways? :P

Habbaku

The game will get to me when Valley Games proves that they're a real company by shipping relatively on time.

They are, thus far, stating that they'll get the shipment in when US Customs finishes poking through the container holding all the stuff.  I suspect the game will actually get to me in early January.

Meanwhile, the rules have been posted online.  Anyone interested in playing should go ahead and read them :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50461
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

Hellenes is pretty sweet!  Good game.

Lettow77

Just got Conflict of Heroes for my roommate. we'll see how it is.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2009, 07:06:30 AM
Habbaku when are you getting Republic of Rome? I am very in the mood of playing it but I have no desire to GM. Why do you need the new edition for it anyways? :P

I remember that Languish had a really fun game of that...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2009, 12:39:57 AM
I remember that Languish had a really fun game of that...

It was on par with our Diplomacy games.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Well it was BB's fault. :P

For this one I would prefer players from among the grognards. Habbaku will be GM, so I am not sure there is enough of us to fill the ranks. :P

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2009, 04:27:38 AM

For this one I would prefer players from among the grognards.

Well there is your problem, we don't have any French here really.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2009, 04:27:38 AM

For this one I would prefer players from among the grognards. Habbaku will be GM, so I am not sure there is enough of us to fill the ranks. :P
Not sure I qual as a grognard, but I have the name for it.  I might be able to get a player or two from our old group, if people here are willing to tolerate some n00bs to Languish to get some grogs at RoR.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!