News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 10:09:21 AM

You said it in open game chat at the end of the last war, when you complained that the peace being forced on you was not reasonable on the grounds that if you add up all your provinces, they are no more than France and the Ottomans combined. Are you denying that you said that? Everyone in the game saw it and got a good laugh out of it.

This is out of context. Your misquote is from the peace negotiations dismembering the HRE where Habbaku wanted to reduce me to bohemia and austria only, smaller that the ottomans in europe and smaller than france. I naturally argued for keeping me as big as possible. I successfully lobbied to keep myself slightly larger than France without colonies. 

Of course it isn't the case, we fought a war to NOT make it be the case. And you refused to join an anti-Turn coalition because the rest of the Coalition refused to agree that you be allowed to return to your pre-HRE war status of "the size of France+Ottomans" that you apparently felt was your due.

I am sure if I am full of shit about all this, one of the other participants in the discussion will chime in and say so, right?

My pre HRE size was about 50 provinces, my post was about 40. I made no argument that I should be as big as France+Ottomans, I argued that if I were made too small nobody could stop either of them. An argument you agreed with at the time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

JonasSalk

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 01, 2010, 01:13:02 AM
Fuck you, Great Britain.  I want my Aztec gold back, you dirty goddamn thief.

PS I love you don't crush me.

You couldn't possibly think I would be ok with that. Who put you up to it?

I put myself up to it.  I got bored and started browsing around the open territories throughout the world and lo and behold, there were TWO Aztec gold provinces open...so I got an expedition of plucky Swedes and showed  that they too can colonize with the best of 'em.  Unfortunately the Portuguese beat me to the first one, but I was able to get their capital.
Yuman

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on April 01, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 01, 2010, 11:42:23 AM
Shit, the guy with the 6th largest army and the 4th largest income is the proto hegemon? WTF?
You keep saying this, as if we're expected to believe it. Do you think that this sort of diplomacy has helped the HRE thus far?

You can make the argument that I should behave differently and in that case I might be able to mitigate some of the 'bad press' I'm getting. Fair enough. I might stay ahead of Sweden or Hungary by agreeing to watch as the others divvy up the rest of the world. As a matter of principle I'm not going to make promises that will be broken once I am strong enough to do so and I'm not going to concede the game less than half way through. From the moment I formed the HRE and got beaten down the argument that I can't aspire to regain the strength I had then and equating that with any expansion forces me to either accept minor power status or stand up to them.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2010, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 01, 2010, 11:42:23 AM
Shit, the guy with the 6th largest army and the 4th largest income is the proto hegemon? WTF?
No need to play dumb.  Not all income is the same, not all army sizes are the same, and most importantly, the threat is the potential of what you could become, not what you currently are.  Everything that you have, as well as threatening to seize, is all on one contiguous land mass.  I'm not sure why you're still laboring under the illusion that some of us can be fooled about the threat of HRE as a united country.

By the time you convert the incas and aztecs as well as colonize the bulk of 'gran colombia' you will be as powerful as a full HRE. Just as when the ottomans finish taking the entire middle east and the russians convert the steppes and India and SEasia are divide up amonst the powers.

Berkut

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 01, 2010, 12:03:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 01, 2010, 01:13:02 AM
Fuck you, Great Britain.  I want my Aztec gold back, you dirty goddamn thief.

PS I love you don't crush me.

You couldn't possibly think I would be ok with that. Who put you up to it?

I put myself up to it.  I got bored and started browsing around the open territories throughout the world and lo and behold, there were TWO Aztec gold provinces open...so I got an expedition of plucky Swedes and showed  that they too can colonize with the best of 'em.  Unfortunately the Portuguese beat me to the first one, but I was able to get their capital.

Fair enough - I was actually going to be rather begrdugingly impressed with DG if he negotiated their status with me, then turned around and suggested that you grab them.

THAT would be a rather devious move.

Anyway, I sent you a PM - we can and should discuss Swedish colonies in the NW, I am not adverse to a Swedish presence in NA, in general.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 12:07:56 PM
Fair enough - I was actually going to be rather begrdugingly impressed with DG if he negotiated their status with me, then turned around and suggested that you grab them.

THAT would be a rather devious move.

Anyway, I sent you a PM - we can and should discuss Swedish colonies in the NW, I am not adverse to a Swedish presence in NA, in general.
I'm just a simple guy trying to run a country as best as I can.  Such level of devious diplomacy is not in my arsenal.  Besides, my main motivation for agreeing to lay off the Aztecs was to remain on good terms with you.  That's the kind of agreement you really want to adhere to in spirit, and not just in letter.

Speaking of Swedes, I had to do a double take as I saw their ships round Cape Horn and sail north next to Incan coast.  I had to confirm three times that they were indeed the Swedes.  I thought poor Swedes must've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Berkut

Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.

"Hey England, can I have military access?"
"Why?"
"Oh, you know, just to look around and stuff..."

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on April 01, 2010, 12:07:36 PM
By the time you convert the incas and aztecs as well as colonize the bulk of 'gran colombia' you will be as powerful as a full HRE.

This is pretty much complete horseshit and you know it.  The manpower and regimental support levels of Spain once that stuff is finished will still be nowhere near the full HRE's.  Even if the HRE doesn't have as much cash, nor do they have to worry about tech drag from having so many provinces (all of theirs being super-rich, after all), but they also don't have to worry about taking any New World-based Ideas, either--allowing them to take all the military stuff early and easily kick the crap out of the Spanish army, as we saw in Italy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Damnit Habs, just let the poor man tell his story!

0 rows returned

JonasSalk

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 01:00:59 PM
Just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.

"Hey England, can I have military access?"
"Why?"
"Oh, you know, just to look around and stuff..."

That was two sessions ago!  I never had the capability to go Aztecin' way back then.
Yuman

JonasSalk

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2010, 12:47:26 PMI'm just a simple guy trying to run a country as best as I can.  Such level of devious diplomacy is not in my arsenal.  Besides, my main motivation for agreeing to lay off the Aztecs was to remain on good terms with you.  That's the kind of agreement you really want to adhere to in spirit, and not just in letter.

Speaking of Swedes, I had to do a double take as I saw their ships round Cape Horn and sail north next to Incan coast.  I had to confirm three times that they were indeed the Swedes.  I thought poor Swedes must've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Oh it was the right turn alright...the right turn toward delicious Aztec gold that was unconquered.  I channeled the vikings of 800 years before and went halfway around the world to conquer two small territories laden with gold.
Yuman

Habbaku

http://www.mediafire.com/?dgqzhhfyrvg

The save file for those wanting to check stuff out and for Katmai.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on April 01, 2010, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 01, 2010, 12:07:36 PM
By the time you convert the incas and aztecs as well as colonize the bulk of 'gran colombia' you will be as powerful as a full HRE.

This is pretty much complete horseshit and you know it.  The manpower and regimental support levels of Spain once that stuff is finished will still be nowhere near the full HRE's.  Even if the HRE doesn't have as much cash, nor do they have to worry about tech drag from having so many provinces (all of theirs being super-rich, after all), but they also don't have to worry about taking any New World-based Ideas, either--allowing them to take all the military stuff early and easily kick the crap out of the Spanish army, as we saw in Italy.

Qui Bono.

Berkut

I have a job interview Wednesday evening at 6:30 with a local college football officials association.

It is in Waterloo, so I might be back by 8:30, I *should* be back by 8:30. On the other hand, I have no real idea what is involved, or how long it will take, so it is possible I will not be back on time.

I will be there though, so I will see if ulmont can stand in for me if I am late, at least until I get there.

0 rows returned