News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Kat, ulmont is going to sub for you for a little while, get online as soon as you can.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

This session was slightly less eventful than the last one. 1586 - 1604 IIRC.

Pre-session diplomacy failed to resolve anybody to join an anti-Habbaku coalition. Every prospective non-Holy Roman faction refused to join on the grounds that the Holy Roman Empire was just as much a threat as the Ottoman Empire and the coalition had to resolve the issue of HRE power before moving on to Ottoman Power. The HRE refused to join on the grounds that the rest of the coalition was more focused on taking down the HRE than the Ottoman Empire.

Wars of note included

The Bavarian War of Aggression against Elsass where Bavaria and The Netherlands attacked Elsass and The HRE. Elsass found itself annexed, The Netherlands was made to release 3 provinces of minors and The HRE took Elsass and two other provinces from Bavaria.

The Spanish War of Reconquest against Portugal followed by the HRE war of Intervention against Spain and the French war of Intervention against The HRE followed by various (including holstein and cologne) wars of intervention against the HRE once my WC had dropped to 0. The results were Lisabon to Spain, some colonies to France, Gelderland, Leipzig and overlordship over a 3 province Holstein for the HRE. This war was actually contested. France successfully invaded Belgium and took most of the provinces, after a bit of back and forth Spain invaded and took Milan. Once the HRE had an election and picked a Military Ruler (3.6.4.2 leader) and the combattants reduced to 14% HRE, 10% Fra and 5% Spa WE the HRE counteroffensive started. Freddy von Zwiebelhänder (or whatever he was called) routed spanish and french forces in Italy while other HRE generals counter attacked in the Rheinland and Belgium. The War ended with Spain calling for a White Peace and the HRE and France agreeing. I can't not mention the efforts by my Hungarian Allies in saving my bacon at least two times in Italy and actually invading France. I managed to get two 20 regiment armies annihilated by the Spanish King. When I returned the favour that is when DGuller called for White Peace.

Maybe not as much fun as a War of Leaderbashing against the Ottomans, but I suppose the pre-requisite for such a war is the presumption by all the parties that the Ottomans are the most dangerous power.

All in all a fun session, but I am falling behind since I can't gobble up my neighbours without provoking a War of Fourthplacebashing against me.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on March 31, 2010, 11:42:05 PM

Pre-session diplomacy failed to resolve anybody to join an anti-Habbaku coalition. Every prospective non-Holy Roman faction refused to join on the grounds that the Holy Roman Empire was just as much a threat as the Ottoman Empire and the coalition had to resolve the issue of HRE power before moving on to Ottoman Power.

Pre-session diplomacy failed to resolve anybody to join an anti-Habbaku coalition.

To say this isn't quite true would be something of an understatement.

Actually, pre-session diplo resolved for everyone to join an anti-Habs coalition....the only sticking point being viking. Every single other power, with only the exception of Sweden, was willing to get on board.

What nixed the entire thing?

Viking refusing to agree that the war would not be an excuse for him to gobble up more German states.

So instead, he made a deal with Habbaku to stay at peace...in return for him not gobbling up a bunch of German states.

That is some high quality diplomacy right there.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Of course, by now a coalition against me isn't wholly necessary.  I am not growing at anywhere near the speed of, say, Britain and Spain, who will certainly overtake me in the next session unless they get into a war with one-another.  I hope they do so, of course, considering they have a lot more to fight each other over than me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Well, that was an interesting session.  My first EU3 war against another human.  I'm surprised I didn't crumble in short order, and was even on a roll until that costly miscalculation with the timing of my army's tactical retreat.  Of course, I couldn't have done it without the help of my temp ally ulmont, whose contribution is greatly appreciated.  Hopefully the Emperor will think longer before picking fight with Spain next time, and instead will focus on the Turk threat.

As for war with Great Britain, I wouldn't count on it.  I think that our arrangement is mutually beneficial, and will stay that way.  As for the threat of Spain overtaking the Ottomans on income, that is a possibility.  However, before hyperventilating over a threat of me being too powerful, I suggest paying attention to my manpower number.  Like Britain, I'm no threat to the balance of power on the continent regardless of my income, and I have no intention of becoming one.

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2010, 12:01:24 AM

Pre-session diplomacy failed to resolve anybody to join an anti-Habbaku coalition. Every prospective non-Holy Roman faction refused to join on the grounds that the Holy Roman Empire was just as much a threat as the Ottoman Empire and the coalition had to resolve the issue of HRE power before moving on to Ottoman Power.

Pre-session diplomacy failed to resolve anybody to join an anti-Habbaku coalition.

To say this isn't quite true would be something of an understatement.

Actually, pre-session diplo resolved for everyone to join an anti-Habs coalition....the only sticking point being viking. Every single other power, with only the exception of Sweden, was willing to get on board.

What nixed the entire thing?

Viking refusing to agree that the war would not be an excuse for him to gobble up more German states.

So instead, he made a deal with Habbaku to stay at peace...in return for him not gobbling up a bunch of German states.

That is some high quality diplomacy right there.

It's an AAR Berkut and quite obviously told from my point of view. Calling me a liar over an issue which at best can be an issue of interpretation is just not Kosher. I only post private correspondence when I get called a liar. Non Berkutite replies have been removed to protect the guilty.

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2010, 01:09:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 25, 2010, 05:11:09 PM
You have already taken the Empire bonus from me, taken 60 of the richest provinces in the game from me and now Habbaku wants to dismember me further. I just need to ask you. Who is going to do the bulk of the fighting when you take Habbaku down? If I don't get some protection from you soon I can pretty much guarantee that I can't be that power.

Viking is right - the Ottomans have already fully Westernized, and they are being played by someone who is very, very good at this game. This should be almost as worrisome as the HRE was.

The problem is that we need viking to counter Habs, but to be honest viking, you lack credibility - my suspicion is that you are just using the threat of the Ottomans to justify snatching up most of Europe, and don't really have any intention of doing anything about the Ottomans.

I am not sure how we resolve this - but at the end of the day, if we let the Ottomans keep the Austrians down, they are going to win easily.

Here you lay out the precondition that I can't be allowed to be strong after the war. Later on you go on to say (again, Non-berkutite replies have been removed to protect the guilty).

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2010, 03:05:48 PM

I think that sounds like a great start. Note this is how Habs got everyone on board in the anti-HRE quest - by making it about cutting down the HRE, rather than strengthening the Ottomans. Of course, a cut down HRE strengthens the Ottoamsn *without* the Ottomans having to take a single province - which is why Habs is itching to do it again.

The reverse is also true, of course - weakening the Ottomans makes the HRE stronger even if he does not pick up a single province in the process.

If we get a chance to smash up the Ottoman fleet, that would be very good as well.

Shit, by simple means of reducing ottoman power I automatically grow stronger. Now i'm going from not being allowed to get any bigger to having to give away provinces.

I made no deal with the ottomans I just delivered a political analysis of the situation and a description of my likely actions in certain situations.

Berkut, I don't like posting private correspondence like this, if you disagree with me post your own AAR, don't call me a liar. Regardless of what the situation is in the game I can't win unless I expand, I'm never going to agree not to try to win.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

JonasSalk

Fuck you, Great Britain.  I want my Aztec gold back, you dirty goddamn thief.

PS I love you don't crush me.
Yuman

katmai

Ulmont,

thanks for super subbing for me. I'll be here next week, but chances are 50/50 that once may rolls around I'll have to pull out of wed game.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: katmai on April 01, 2010, 01:19:45 AM
Ulmont,

thanks for super subbing for me. I'll be here next week, but chances are 50/50 that once may rolls around I'll have to pull out of wed game.

Ulmont played well and overran belgium pushing me back all the way into Munster when at war, plus he managed to prop up DGuller at precisely the right moment. He also added the Savoy province.

ulmont

Not just Savoy.

Viking

Berkut

Posting private correspondence is not kosher. I won't be engaging in any such correspondence with viking in the future as a result.

If anyone ever needs a blockade of the Austrians, let me know, happy to oblige. That means anyone, under nearly any circumstances - if you are planning a war with the Austrians, or are in a war with them, send me an alliance request for the CB and you will have a ready fleet to drive up their WE. This offer is only good until 1821 though!

Awesome that your betrayal of private correspondence doesn't actually refute what I said - rather it directly supports exactly what I said, and refutes your claims. Good job there viking, your diplomacy skillzors continue to shine.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 01, 2010, 01:13:02 AM
Fuck you, Great Britain.  I want my Aztec gold back, you dirty goddamn thief.

PS I love you don't crush me.

You couldn't possibly think I would be ok with that. Who put you up to it?

0 rows returned