News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2010, 08:28:27 PM
Austria has already succumbed to too much inbreeding I see.

I sent envoy to discuss the purchase of Walloon provinces and am told I should be grateful you didn't attack me...

So with such deft diplomacy out of Vienna I shall just have to build up the army and start talks with the Russians and Swedes.

In the hopes of clarifying anything misunderstanding that may have arisen and to avoid any mischaracterisations and unfortunate comparisons I feel the need to make some things clear.

1. I did not get Italy "for free", I worked to get it and you agreed to let me have it. In the pre-game diplomacy I opened the topic of Italy, you agreed to let me have all of Italy up to the Savoyard border with France.

2. We agreed with respect to German and French cultures that each side would be free to acquire any own culture provinces that were not already owned at game start that we wanted, including French culture imperial provinces.

This sets a clear differentiation between the spheres of interest for each side in Western Europe. You expressed the feeling that you felt this agreement was too advantageous to me and wanted my Walloon provinces in compensation. I told you that I didn't think I was getting anything for free, that I had kept my end of the deal with respect to not interfering in France and that while I was willing to discuss any issue you might wish to discuss that we don't begin with you suggesting I ceded you 4 Imperial Accepted Culture and CB shielded provinces and that any resolution to the problem be sought elsewhere.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2010, 08:39:36 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2010, 08:28:27 PM
Austria has already succumbed to too much inbreeding I see.

I sent envoy to discuss the purchase of Walloon provinces and am told I should be grateful you didn't attack me...

So with such deft diplomacy out of Vienna I shall just have to build up the army and start talks with the Russians and Swedes.

viking diplo > slargos diplo?

I feel insulted to be mentioned in the same breath.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Who has said you were getting Italy for free?
As to savoy, yes I  said that was all I had interest in, and wasn't concerned with rest if Italy, but that was foolish of me with thinking of misguided expectations you weren't going to try and swallow whole areas that have no reason to be in your control.

Now if you stop at present borders or as far as the hre provinces reach then maybe I can understand.
Once again with your Walloon areas I was just putting out feelers towards buying them, and was met with hostility, which is your right, but with such responses I wouldn't expect much good will from anyone in Europe. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2010, 02:00:33 AM
Who has said you were getting Italy for free?
As to savoy, yes I  said that was all I had interest in, and wasn't concerned with rest if Italy, but that was foolish of me with thinking of misguided expectations you weren't going to try and swallow whole areas that have no reason to be in your control.

Now if you stop at present borders or as far as the hre provinces reach then maybe I can understand.
Once again with your Walloon areas I was just putting out feelers towards buying them, and was met with hostility, which is your right, but with such responses I wouldn't expect much good will from anyone in Europe.

I apologize if you felt my response was coloured with hostility, it was not meant to be. Wallonia is not for sale, thank you for inquiring. I sincerely hope your efforts at colonisation and conversion of the natives of Africa and America meet with success. 

Berkut

Funny, my initial pre-game diplo with Austria was much the same.

"I will be taking all these areas, because they are in my sphere of control. These other areas will be mine because I have a shield on them, and these other ones because they are my culture, and these other ones because I want them. Stay out of any of these areas, and please guarantee that your fleet will be ready to assist me at any time I might need it, kthxbye!"

"BTW, I WILL AGREE THAT YOU CAN HAVE SCOTLAND! AREN'T I NICE????"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2010, 07:46:44 AM

"I will be taking all these areas, because they are in my sphere of control. These other areas will be mine because I have a shield on them, and these other ones because they are my culture, and these other ones because I want them. Stay out of any of these areas, and please guarantee that your fleet will be ready to assist me at any time I might need it, kthxbye!"

I call BS, I never agreed that you could have scotland :contract:

DGuller

Just because he offered you a one-sided deal with little upside doesn't mean that you shouldn't take it.  Or does it?  I'm not good at this diplomacy shit.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2010, 08:30:34 AM

Just because he offered you a one-sided deal with little upside doesn't mean that you shouldn't take it.  Or does it?  I'm not good at this diplomacy shit.

My declaration was to insists that he keep out of the empire and telling him I would not give him any of my provinces on the grounds that I owned them, had culture and cb shields, just like he has in england, then I offered to guarantee an austrian army vs france if he guaranteed an english one, response?, lets think about it when the time comes. Then I offered to not build any ships if he guaranteed that he would clear the danish sound if I needed it, response?, No and if you build any ships I won't take it kindly.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2010, 10:08:00 AM
Then I offered to not build any ships if he guaranteed that he would clear the danish sound if I needed it, response?

:lol:  What a deal!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2010, 10:23:02 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2010, 10:08:00 AM
Then I offered to not build any ships if he guaranteed that he would clear the danish sound if I needed it, response?

:lol:  What a deal!

Indeed, viking is chock full of awesome bargains at low low prices!

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Did he also offer not to colonize central Siberia?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Not only my Austria expanded more subtly, but it looks like my diplomacy was way better. :P

Viking

I suggested, you said no. Fair enough. I thought it achieved objectives for both of us. Berkut said no, so I have to build a fleet to be able to do certain things.

I'm not giving stuff away. It's Berkut and Katmai who seem to think that the ownership of my at start, accepted culture and cb shield provinces are up for debate and seem insulted when I disagree.

Anyways, I'm not the one who started publishing misrepresentations of the content of the diplomatic pouch.

Berkut

Not insulted at all. You can certainly demand that you have some kind of "right" to every single province in Europe, one way or another. I don't find it even a little bit insulting.

0 rows returned