Because Hope Springs Eternal: Languish EU3 MP thread

Started by Kleves, December 15, 2009, 11:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Solmyr on December 24, 2009, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 24, 2009, 04:54:22 PM
Which is a problem if you're playing FPS, or a war against a player nation, but I think a lot of the time it won't really be an issue especially since you can still see the screen, though it gets partly obscured by the chat window.

Speaking of which, what speed MP is usually played on? I know I pause constantly in my SP games.

Games I ran, one step above normal speed was the norm in peace time unless slower speed was requested for conditions that would justify slowing down like civil wars or fighting several AI fronts at once.

Generally, slow down one step for one on one player wars, unless they are multi-theater and/or one of the players is a whining bitch. Slow down two steps (IE one above slowest) for multiple participant/front slug fests. Generally only slowest speed if one nation is fighting several at once.

Pausing to be avoided unless it's life-or-death serious IE no pausing to reorganize armies or consider which event choice to make.

People who have to pause a lot even on slower speeds really shouldn't play MP, as frequent pausing really fucks up the game for everyone.

Of course, this is all from EU2, and I haven't played enough EU3 lately to know the speed settings but you should get the general idea. This scheme makes most games flow along at a pace of 4-5 years per hour of game time during most sessions, and will occasionally get 6-7 out of a peaceful session but slow down to 2-3 if there's a lot of fighting (and or bitching and or crashing and or arguments about ethics and GM rulings) going on.

katmai

Slargos is a lying scheming biatch!

Oh in the MP games too!

But really I look forward hearing how this game plays out.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on December 24, 2009, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 24, 2009, 11:19:07 AM
Cool. Never played Portugal before. : :cool:

Partition Morocco and Algiers with me?  :)

You realize, of course, that attacking Brothers of the One True Faith will be a painful experience both financially in the closings of trade centers (not to mention all the timber you will have to import to replace your sunk fleets) but also in losing several generations of your youth as a result of the furious rage of the Sublime Porte?

I'm just saying.

FunkMonk

We will drive the mohammedans from the seas of Europe and Africa with grace and alacrity. Deus vult!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on December 24, 2009, 06:52:43 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 24, 2009, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 24, 2009, 11:19:07 AM
Cool. Never played Portugal before. : :cool:

Partition Morocco and Algiers with me?  :)

You realize, of course, that attacking Brothers of the One True Faith will be a painful experience both financially in the closings of trade centers (not to mention all the timber you will have to import to replace your sunk fleets) but also in losing several generations of your youth as a result of the furious rage of the Sublime Porte?

I'm just saying.
Actually, AI Castile seems to conquer the Ottomans not infrequently given the screenshots I've seen at Paradox. They get dragged into Castile's North African War because they're defender of the faith and get smashed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 25, 2009, 12:58:49 AM
We will drive the mohammedans from the seas of Europe and Africa with grace and alacrity. Deus vult!

That's what I like to hear.  I suspect Slargos' Turks will be a bit too preoccupied with steady expansion into the Balkans and the heart of the Levant to worry about our divvying up the Maghreb.  We just need to come up with something amenable to us both.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 06:50:08 PM

Me too; who is in charge of writing the AAR?

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on December 25, 2009, 01:54:05 AM

That's what I like to hear.  I suspect Slargos' Turks will be a bit too preoccupied with steady expansion into the Balkans and the heart of the Levant to worry about our divvying up the Maghreb.  We just need to come up with something amenable to us both.

:shifty:

Slargos

Quote from: sbr on December 25, 2009, 03:28:15 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 06:50:08 PM

Me too; who is in charge of writing the AAR?

I presume it will be a collaborative effort where each writer takes some time to write up at least a summary of their session if they don't want to make it too poetic.

For my part, I'm not good enough an actor to really embellish my exploits as the Ottomans too much, as I realized this morning when I attempted to write a trash talking post to those fucking Iberians but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I will attempt to forget which country I find myself in, and just get on with it. Perhaps writing it from the perspective of foreign ambassadors.

Solmyr

Quote from: Slargos on December 25, 2009, 03:58:51 AM

:shifty:

Just remember, our Catholic brothers in Hungary and Croatia are under our protection, but we do not care what the Sultan does with various barbarians south of the Danube. :pope:

FunkMonk

God grant us the strength to destroy the Turk and the wisdom to partition his remains.
  :pope: :pope: :pope: :pope:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Solmyr

So are we going to play with the 4.1 beta patch? Should I already use it or is it still bugged?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on December 25, 2009, 12:50:45 PM
So are we going to play with the 4.1 beta patch? Should I already use it or is it still bugged?

It is not bugged anymore and we should definetly use it.

Kleves

Where do you find the beta patches? You don't have to do something stupid like register your game to find them, do you?  :yuk:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on December 25, 2009, 01:03:44 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 25, 2009, 12:50:45 PM

It is not bugged anymore and we should definetly use it.

:huh:

The accounts I've read state pretty clearly that it's still bugged even though Johan claimed it was fixed.

I trust bug reports over "fix" reports.