News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

How quickly do they deal with snow in the area?  Would it be practical to leave an hour or two later to avoid the worst of it and let the road clearing crews take care of the worst of it?

Grey Fox

Don't go speeding.

How long is the trip?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valdemar

Quote from: frunk on January 29, 2010, 01:24:36 PM
How quickly do they deal with snow in the area?  Would it be practical to leave an hour or two later to avoid the worst of it and let the road clearing crews take care of the worst of it?

Its a rotating low pressure zone, been snowing all day there, slowly spreading into my area... the crews are fairly good and I don't expect problems on the main highway, but later on on the smaller roads...

Also the area is reported to be out of salt after 6-8 weeks of constant snow and frost.

The main issue is the drifts due to high winds... earlier, just south of the area affected now got 40-50 cm from the same front and have high winds

V

EDIT, ordinarily about 75 minutes. Dont worry I wont speed, but I fear gettin stuck on low cleareance of my car

Liep

I wouldn't go V. It's coming down quite heavy and there's lots of wind, there are reports that they need to employ the national guard (ATVs) to assist.

On top of that they're running short on salt (so they're skipping smaller roads) and Denmark has never nor will ever be properly equipped to clear roads in due time.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valdemar

Quote from: Liep on January 29, 2010, 01:48:25 PM
I wouldn't go V. It's coming down quite heavy and there's lots of wind, there are reports that they need to employ the national guard (ATVs) to assist.

On top of that they're running short on salt (so they're skipping smaller roads) and Denmark has never nor will ever be properly equipped to clear roads in due time.

The local small road isn't a problem actually :D My father in law would love to bring out the tractor and pull me thourhg the last mile or so :p

But the main "Landevej" from the highway to the biroad is the issue

V

Admiral Yi

Driving at night through a blizzard to get to the inlaws?  That's a tough one. :hmm:

Liep

It's been a while since I've seen Copenhagen like this and it's getting worse on thursday. When did we become Norway? :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2010, 02:47:49 PM
Why the fuck does  ahalf inch of snow need salting or plowing?  :huh:

I don't think they even bring out the sanding trucks for that little snow.
It doesn't get cold that far south.  When it snows, it melts on the ground and then eventually freezes as it piles up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

QuoteFalck har rykket ud flere gange på Lolland-Falster, hvor det har sneet i flere timer. Men ifølge kommunikationsmedarbejder Klaus Kristiansen har det primært drejet sig om »småting«.

»Foreløbig har det ikke været nær så slemt, som vi har set tidligere på vinteren under lignende vejrforhold. Det lader til, at folk er blevet vant til, at det sner, og at det er glat«.

Mr.Penguin

Valdemar

Do not go. They are talking about a full blown snow storm, with wind of +10 m/s and 25cm snowfall, that means a lot of drifting snow and closed roads. And it will last to the early morning...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Valdemar

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on January 29, 2010, 02:39:27 PM
Valdemar

Do not go. They are talking about a full blown snow storm, with wind of +10 m/s and 25cm snowfall, that means a lot of drifting snow and closed roads. And it will last to the early morning...

Yeah well there is also an not incosiderable amount of media hysteria... watching trafikken.dk vintervejr cameras and it doesn' seem to bad down there..

V

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Valdemar on January 29, 2010, 02:47:16 PM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on January 29, 2010, 02:39:27 PM
Valdemar

Yeah well there is also an not incosiderable amount of media hysteria... watching trafikken.dk vintervejr cameras and it doesn' seem to bad down there..

V

...doesnt seem to bad down there...yet...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Liep

Well, from my brief walk down Istedgade from Vega I can tell of two crashes already. Pakistani taxi drivers cannot handle snow apparently. :D

Valdemar

Well I arrived safely, wasn't too much hassle as long as I kept the speed no higher than 80

The last 500 meters my wife and father in law too their cr out to plow through the drifts, but actually the snow was far denser near Copenhagen and around Ringsted than it is down here....

Storm i et glas vand.

V