News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Brian Burke's son died from the Snowapocalypse. The gods have smitten Martinus.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 06, 2010, 07:54:53 PM
snowpocalypse

Really? I see our media has a lot to learn when it comes to being stupid.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

6+ inches inbound for Monday night and Tuesday. WE ARE DOMED!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 07, 2010, 05:19:22 PM
6+ inches inbound for Monday night and Tuesday. WE ARE DOMED!

Only if you build an igloo.

Anyway, assuming the weather patterns move as normal, we'll be getting the tail end of this in a couple of weeks; and you must have noticed just how "well" we deal with snow... :bowler:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

KRonn

Wow, you guys got clobbered! That's a huge snowstorm, especially for areas that don't get much, if any, snow fall!! (Nearly a meter of snow)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/weather/02/08/winter.weather/index.html?hpt=T2

Snow-weary region expects second wallop

(CNN) -- As the mid-Atlantic region tried to dig itself out of a record-setting blizzard, a second weather system promised to dump more snow this week.

Federal workers in Washington were asked to stay home Monday except for emergency employees. Students in some schools in the nation's capital also got a snow day.

Many residents who spent the weekend gleefully making snowmen and hurling snowballs grumbled as they painfully shoveled hip-high snow from driveways.

"The streets are pretty well covered," Kingsley Barreto said about his Gaithersburg, Maryland, subdivision.

"No cars coming in or out of here. Hopefully everyone in the community has enough supplies to last them for a little while, because it doesn't look like we're going anywhere anytime soon," Barreto said Sunday in a post he submitted to iReport.

Crews worked around the clock to clear roads and repair power lines, warning that it might take days to restore electricity to some customers from Pennsylvania to Virginia.

A record 32.4 inches of snow fell on Washington's Dulles International Airport over two days, breaking a January 7-8, 1996, record of 23.2 inches.

Two of Dulles' four runways were open Monday morning, and officials said they hoped to have a third open later Monday, said Courtney Mickalonis of the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority.

The situation there is "getting back to normal," Mickalonis said.

But airport officials asked travelers not to go there without confirmed flights.

Reagan National Airport was scheduled to reopen Monday morning, with flights resuming on a limited basis, the airport authority said. Travelers were urged to check with airlines on flight schedules before heading to the airport.

Are you there? Share your winter weather photos, video

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport was open Monday with limited service, spokesman Jonathan Dean said.

One of the two runways opened Sunday night, and some flights landed, Dean said. However, airport authorities anticipate carrier delays and cancellations because of the backlog.

Airport crews were dealing with a refreeze from overnight, but officials aim to have both runways open by the end of Monday.

Amtrak said it canceled several trains Sunday after downed trees and power lines fell on its tracks. Dozens of Greyhound routes in Middle Atlantic States also were canceled, the company said on its Web site. And officials across the region advised drivers to stay off slick roads.

Making matters worse, a new weather system loomed overhead, the National Weather Service said.

As early as Tuesday, it is expected to bring more than 5 inches of snow and winds up to 25 mph in the Washington and Baltimore region.

"Everybody's just trying to clean up and get a little bit ahead of the game before the next round comes," said Michelle Timberlake who lives on a farm in Boyce, Virginia, west of Washington.

The interior designer found herself running through a mountain of snow when about 40 cows escaped from a pasture on her husband's farm in search of food and shelter.

"This was not what I imagined for myself," Timberlake said Sunday, laughing about the experience.

garbon

The blizzard of '96. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Snowed for about 5 hours over here today.

But the ground was damp and the air temperature was too high, so virtually none of it settled.

I have higher hopes for later in the week.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on February 08, 2010, 02:49:15 PM
Wow, you guys got clobbered! That's a huge snowstorm, especially for areas that don't get much, if any, snow fall!! (Nearly a meter of snow)

[billymiles]
But wait, there's more! At no additional cost!
[/billymiles]

QuoteThe National Weather Service has posted Winter Storm Warnings for all of Maryland west of the Chesapeake Bay, calling for 10 to 20 inches of new snow by Wednesday evening.

Read it and weep:

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY
TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 20 INCHES.

* TIMING...MID-AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

Fuck you, Snow Miser, wherever you are!

Caliga

We got about three inches overnight and it's still snowing heavily.  That's not all that much, but my driveway is covered and it's about 300 feet long... so screw it, I ain't going in.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Boston is getting 6-12 inches tomorrow.  Unless I get a snow day I'm hoping it stays there. 
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2010, 06:35:28 AM
We got about three inches overnight and it's still snowing heavily.  That's not all that much, but my driveway is covered and it's about 300 feet long... so screw it, I ain't going in.  :cool:

If I had posted I was staying home from work, I'd get a frowny face from you.  :mad:

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 09, 2010, 06:35:28 AM
What, no snow plowing service at the Caliga country estate??   ;)

Caliga

There's a guy who'll do it for 15 bucks, but I am: cheap.  Plus I need the exercise.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

One good thing about these storms, I get to see the Fox affiliates news chicks. I'd warm the top one up when she is outside.