News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

It's most unusual, figures like -18C have been on the BBC for some godforsaken suburb of Manchester. There are ice floes floating down the river Ribble outside my door and the quieter bits of the river are freezing over  :cool:

I appreciate that this is, more or less, like a summer's day in Canada.........but the temps here are between 15-20C lower than usual, hence there is a fair amount of disruption. Which, if one ignores the media and goes out for a walk/slip/slide has cheered people up a lot round here, excellent sledging in the park  :cool:

There is the slight problem that my kids' schools have been closed. But I'm allowing myself beer every night till their places of learning re-open and will not be shaving until the ponds in the local park are clear of ice  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on January 07, 2010, 12:28:33 PM
Think this is pretty unprecedented:

There are those green and pleasant fields I hear so much about? :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 07, 2010, 12:54:10 PM
I appreciate that this is, more or less, like a summer's day in Canada

Well not really no, if you exclude Vancouver, we are a land of extreme.

+35-40 at the height of Summer, the exact opposite at height of Winter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, I know GF, was in Ontario/Quebec one April some years ago............the weather was all over the place. It didn't know whether to have a foot of snow, some really cold dry weather, or burst into spring.

Grey Fox

So when are you coming back? Malthus' place is pretty nice. Very British.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2010, 12:44:47 PM
I wonder how common it is to have total snow cover in, say, western Cornwall. :huh:  Also I wonder if the Scilly Isles have snow.
The Isle fo Wight is supposed to have a Meditarranean micro-climate. Looks like there may be a bit of green poking through there too.

Caliga

I see Wight on the map, but it looks white to me. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2010, 12:32:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2010, 11:30:30 AM
Fuck it, I'm not going in this afternoon. I'll harass people at the office via webcam and Skype.
I admire your solid work ethic, sir.  May I draft you to run for Congress?  :)

Although asked by the local GOP to think about running for the local county offices, I have declined a move into politics.

For now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

We're getting 20-30 cm during the day, which is a lot for Vienna.

Tomorrow: rain. :bleeding:

Sunday: more snow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I took Friday off too.  :cool:

Caliga

So did alot of the fucking pansies down here.  OMG DANGURIS CONDISHUNS.  The roads are perfectly clear.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 08, 2010, 10:49:04 AM
So did alot of the fucking pansies down here.  OMG DANGURIS CONDISHUNS.  The roads are perfectly clear.  :lol:

You sound like the guy that reminded teacher that there was a test today.  :mad:

ulmont

My office closed today.  Although there was less than 0.5" of snow...it melted and then froze overnight.  The ice caused a 29-car pileup this morning.

derspiess

:lol:  On one hand I want to be like Ed & take the day off, but on the other hand I don't want to appear to be one of the above referenced pansies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

As long as I have the stroke, I'm gonna use it.  :bowler: