Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2012, 06:31:30 PM
That's a big fucking lawn you got there Cal.
Merely a small fraction of it. :showoff:

I guess I'll post pics of my Magnolia planting next weekend.  I hope that nigga gets to be like 80 feet tall and 40 feet wide.  Natural privacy screen FTW.  I should probably plant stuff like that along the side of the house where Asshole Neighbor(TM) lives, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Very nice Cal. Those pear trees look especially good!

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2012, 06:40:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 06:30:42 PM
Very nice.  They named that tree after me.  Though I look about as good as I smell.
Are you a cheap Chinese import like the Bradford pear also? :hmm:

At work, every single tree around our building/parking lots is a Bradford pear.  There are literally hundreds of them.  The stench right now :bleeding:

No.  I don't come cheap.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 01:16:26 PM
Peach tree planted this morning  :cool:
Nice, good luck with it! How many years about until you can expect peaches?

I've been getting my garden ready for planting. Soil is about 55 degrees F, warm for so early, so I'll probably plant some things earlier than I usually do. Lettuce and corn earlier. I have an electric roto tiller and have expanded the garden to about 30 feet by 12 feet. Decent size for a backyard garden.

Going to plant about 100 corn plants, lots of pole and bush beans, lettuce, butternut squash, tomatoes. Maybe more. But I have enough room to plant a good amount of each of those. It's become a summer hobby to me; I love it.

Caliga

I think peaches begin fruiting sooner than apples, and more reliably so since they're self-pollinating, unlike apples.

The peach tree I planted is a little scrawny so I don't expect any fruit for several years.  Maybe tomorrow I'll take some pics of it and my apples.  I just got done remulching everything.

katmai

:nelson: it is end of days. You'll never see those peaches!!!!1
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2012, 07:00:38 PM
:nelson: it is end of days. You'll never see those peaches!!!!1
I liked the part when Ahnuld killed Satan.

Caliga

Granny Smith is going to produce apples this year... at least a dozen apple buds on it. :cool:

Caliga

I should change my handle to: The Constant Gardener. :hmm: I was out there all morning trimming hedges, spraying trees, light pruning, etc. and I still have a magnolia tree to plant.

Caliga

When I was digging the hole for the magnolia I found more fossils, which is confusing since according to Seige such things do not exist. :o

Anyway, I threw it over my shoulder and couldn't find it when it looked for it later. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Yesterday I hung some Spanish Moss I stole from Disney World on one of my nearly-dead ash trees (thank you, China, for yet another destructive goddamn import).  Earlier today I checked and it's still there, doesn't yet appear to be dead, and the mockingbirds haven't yet tried to scavenge it for nesting material. :cool: