Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

HVC

Aren't almond trees, even of the edible variety, poisonous?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

You have to blanch the almonds before eating them, but otherwise they're ok.  I used to work with a guy who planted hardy almonds and ate them (he was going to bring me some but left the company and it's a pain in the ass to go to his house so I haven't seen him since. :blush: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2012, 07:37:07 PM

I'm going to replace the Fuji with another red apple variety but not sure which yet.  My Granny Smith is still doing well and granny needs someone to drill her so she gives me nice apple-pie apples. :)
Yum, homemade apple pie!  :)

Caliga

I intend to dry the apples out and make fried apple pies.  I'll need to get Princesca's grandmother's recipe because hers are the shiznit. :cool:

KRonn

Jaron

The trick to good apple pie is to dry the apples first. The texture and taste are out of this world!!!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: Jaron on January 29, 2012, 09:40:33 PM
The trick to good apple pie is to dry the apples first. The texture and taste are out of this world!!!

Do you have any tips on how to pick the apples for best results?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

My grandparents had about 3 or 4 different kinds of apple trees in their yard, and only one of them gave any semi-edible apples.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Jaron

Cameo apples are bred for their exceptional crunch. That is why they are my preferred apple.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 30, 2012, 07:22:38 PM
What was wrong with the rest of them?
If I recall aren't most apple trees that sell commercial fruit clones because only rare trees have edible fruit?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Pretty much all apple trees for sale (including mine) are clonal as well, for that very same reason.

Valdemar

Here the cloning isn't as much a question of taste, which has been brought about by hybrids over centuries of breeding, but of sustainability. the cloning is done by grating an edible version unto the root and lowe stem of a wild version, giving the final tree a stronger growth while still maintaining edible apples :)

But then Denmark is apple country :)

V

The Brain

So how many fruits and nuts do you have in your yard now Cal?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.