Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2011, 08:21:49 AM
My granny smith seems to have become the favored bathroom of one of the local stray cats. 

:blink:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 10:41:08 AM
Horses like them.
Yeah, I've heard that.  Surprisingly (this being Kentucky) we don't have any neighbors with horses, though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2011, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 10:41:08 AM
Horses like them.
Yeah, I've heard that.  Surprisingly (this being Kentucky) we don't have any neighbors with horses, though.

You should get a horse.  It's like a car except less practical and efficient and more expensive.  It's perfect for a person who wants to demonstrate their wealth and superior status.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 10:40:13 AM
I think the smallest lot you'll find for a stand alone house in NA is 1/4 acre.
Incorrect.  My house in Massachusetts was on 0.12 acres. :blush:

Caliga

I was doing some more research today and I am leaning toward almonds, as well as a pawpaw patch in the woods.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Razgovory

Still think you need a horse to eat all those horse apples.  I read on Wikipedia that it's theorized that Osage oranges might have been dispersed by giant sloths and mastodon.  So maybe you should look into getting some of those as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
I was doing some more research today and I am leaning toward almonds, as well as a pawpaw patch in the woods.
Interesting. What is it that's causing you to lean towards almonds? I just checked out pawpaw, not being sure what it is, and it's the largest fruit tree indiginous to North America. Interesting.

Caliga

I love almonds and almond trees are pretty small.  I also love pecans, but pecan trees get ENORMOUS and mature slowly and while I do have a fair bit of land, I'm not sure where I can plant a pecan tree that makes sense on my property.

KRonn

Almond trees sound like a great idea then, smaller size, so should be easier to care for. You can have more trees too, obviously.

I'm already thinking and planning on what I want to do with my garden next Spring. I was kind of glad as the season wound down and I had less work to do. But now itching to go again. Going to make it larger, maybe put a fence around one section, to keep rabbits/woodchucks away from the young shoots of plant types they go after. Fewer tomato plants, and probably fewer corn plants. Not as many pole beans  - I had a huge crop of beans this year! And I'll some other stuff, maybe peas, lettuce, or what ever else I decide on in the Spring.

Caliga

The whole garden thing is up to Princesca as far as our house goes.  She keeps saying she'll start one, and never does it. :hmm:

Caliga

So I've officially passed judgment on my Fuji: it's dead.  We had a windstorm this week and it's now sticking out of the ground at like a 60-degree angle.  I was gonna pull it up this weekend but I spent more time pruning back my dogwood than I thought I would and got tired. :blush:

I'm going to replace the Fuji with another red apple variety but not sure which yet.  My Granny Smith is still doing well and granny needs someone to drill her so she gives me nice apple-pie apples. :)