Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 10:56:30 PM
How do rabbits kill a tree?
They girdle it, which means they strip off all of the bark all the way around the trunk.  If you do that, the leaves and roots can no longer exchange nutrients and the tree basically starves to death.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2011, 06:59:10 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 10:56:30 PM
How do rabbits kill a tree?
They girdle it, which means they strip off all of the bark all the way around the trunk.  If you do that, the leaves and roots can no longer exchange nutrients and the tree basically starves to death.

I have never seen a rabbit do that.  I once did that to an apple tree when I was a kid, though.  The tree died shortly after.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 12:12:53 PM
Don't you have a dog? He sleeping on the job?
He's not allowed down in that part of the yard... it's out of range of his wireless collar.  Plus, he would be eating the trees themselves if he could... he completely ate one of my bushes last year (which has since made an amazing comeback after having been 'trimmed' down it its roots).

Razgovory

You need tougher trees.  My sister planted a sapling that I ran over with the lawnmower three times.  It came back each time and is now a tree.  An odd looking tree that appears to be more of a bush, but it did grow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

FUCKING BRADFORD PEARS :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

On another note, the granny smith is doing fine... the tree wrap works like a charm. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 10:28:13 AM
FUCKING BRADFORD PEARS :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

On another note, the granny smith is doing fine... the tree wrap works like a charm. :)

They named that tree after me. :)

Caliga

I have the sudden urge to saw your arms off before a gust of wind breaks you in half. :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 03:30:00 PM
I have the sudden urge to saw your arms off before a gust of wind breaks you in half. :(

It was named in my honor for my endearing qualities.

Caliga

Lions gnawing on it are one of the major threats to the Bradford Pear. :(

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Caliga

Two observations:

1.  My granny smith seems to have become the favored bathroom of one of the local stray cats.  I wonder if cat manure is beneficial to a tree? :hmm:

2.  I was checking some of the pruning cuts I did a few weeks back and I realized that most of the tall trees in my woods are actually osage orange tress.  I thought the osage orange was a short tree, but I've got at least 3 or 4 that are probably 60+ feet tall. :huh:  I knew I had some osage orange back there, since I find the oranges every fall, but no idea I had so damn many.  I wonder if there's any meaningful use for all of these 'fruits'?  I say it that way because the oranges are supposedly mostly tasteless and if you eat them they induce vomiting. :yuk:

Razgovory