Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I put it in, but for this particular tree the roots started growing less than an inch below the graft (which needs to be above ground) and the roots are very shallow so... it needs to be staked.  Gonna go get some more stakes and wire today.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Trees: staked.  I also took the opportunity to prune my callery pears.  Probably the most unpleasant time of year to do that, too.  Excuse me while I go vomit. :x

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2011, 12:57:56 PM
:huh:
Callery pears are pollinated by flies, not bees.  So the blossoms give off an odor that is attractive to flies: the odor of rotting flesh.

Eddie Teach

So they don't produce fruit and their blossoms smell like rotting flesh, yet you purposely planted them in your yard.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

They do produce fruit (though it's small and inedible), and I didn't plant them... the folks I bought the house from planted them.  I don't think I'll take them out, but when they die off I'll replace them with something native to the area, like some sort of pine or maybe magnolias.  Callery pear = another goddamn Chinese junk import.

Ed Anger

I tilled a large area for the wife's garden. My archenemy, the rabbit, was watching me.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I just got done surveying my demesne.  My apple trees are both doing extremely well--the fuji in particular is growing like crazy.  Spectracide = EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE.

On a related note, all eleven of the sapling trees I got for free actually do seem to be alive after all, though it's harder to tell with the white pines.  The yellow poplars and pin oaks are growing like crazy.  I may be planting them this season.

Caliga

The fuji is dead. :(  A month or two ago it somehow got girdled, all of its foliage dropped, and I'm quite sure it ain't coming back.

At first I thought it was our idiot landscaper and his string trimmer, but the same damage just started appearing on the granny smith.  I finally realized what it was..

I'M COMING FOR YOU, WASCALLY WABBITS. :mad:

I just got done wrapping the granny smith's trunk, which I'm hoping will keep the damn things away from it.  If not, then I guess it's time for a 20 gauge.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I warned you people about the rabbit menace. You people laughed it off.

I TOLD YOU SO.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

How do rabbits kill a tree?  I have a dead tree in my yard, I don't know what killed it though.  All the grass around it died at the same time, so I'm thinking it a was fungus or something.  I have chosen to leave the tree in the yard as warning to the other trees.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017