Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valdemar on January 31, 2012, 08:17:03 AM
Here the cloning isn't as much a question of taste, which has been brought about by hybrids over centuries of breeding, but of sustainability. the cloning is done by grating an edible version unto the root and lowe stem of a wild version, giving the final tree a stronger growth while still maintaining edible apples :)

But then Denmark is apple country :)

V

They do that with walnuts throughout northern CA. You see walnut trees everywhere that are black on the bottom and white on top because they've grafted an English walnut tree on to the base of a black walnut tree. It looks odd at first.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2012, 12:04:08 PM
So how many fruits and nuts do you have in your yard now Cal?

Do you mean flora or fauna? :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Just came back from the tree nursery where I bought:

* 1 box elder (to replace one I had to get torn out to fix a leaking pipe)
* 1 southern magnolia
* 1 peach tree (Redhaven)
* 1 apple tree (Pink Lady)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

This reminds me, it is time to declare war on the vermin of the garden, the bunny rabbit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 17, 2012, 08:21:32 PM
This reminds me, it is time to declare war on the vermin of the garden, the bunny rabbit.

Some good advice: http://youtu.be/negE4MZY4iY
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 17, 2012, 08:21:32 PM

Last year I had some problems with rabbits eating the leaves on the young plants, killing some of them. I put hot pepper spray on them and that pretty much stopped anything from eating the leaves. The spray isn't toxic but it's a strong smell and taste for animals, so they stay clear of it. Seemed to work well.

Caliga

The Pink Lady is: planted.  Hopefully there's some hot lesbo action between her and Granny Smith and I get me some nice apples. :showoff:

Caliga

Oh, also, I was supposed to plant four things this afternoon but I got too tired after just planting the apple tree.  Me = getting old. :Embarrass:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

:D I kept making jokes about that song to Princesca today.

ANDREWS SISTERS :punk:

Caliga

Here are my apple trees.  Granny Smith on the left, Pink Lady on the right.  Go at it ladies :perv:

Caliga

Also, here are some of my Bradford pears in full bloom.  The look nice but smell like dead bodies. :)  The tree on the far left is a red maple.

Razgovory

Very nice.  They named that tree after me.  Though I look about as good as I smell.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 06:30:42 PM
Very nice.  They named that tree after me.  Though I look about as good as I smell.
Are you a cheap Chinese import like the Bradford pear also? :hmm:

At work, every single tree around our building/parking lots is a Bradford pear.  There are literally hundreds of them.  The stench right now :bleeding: