Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Started by Caliga, December 08, 2009, 09:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following fruit and nut trees should I plant?

Almond
10 (18.2%)
Apple
24 (43.6%)
Apricot
2 (3.6%)
Cherry
23 (41.8%)
Fig
10 (18.2%)
Hazelnut
8 (14.5%)
Peach
24 (43.6%)
Pear
16 (29.1%)
Pecan
11 (20%)
Quince
2 (3.6%)
Walnut
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on July 27, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 27, 2012, 03:46:15 PM
I do use an air rifle. It's a 1200 foot per second pellet gun. Works fine for the stuff that's usually invading my yard--quail.

<_< I'd get arrested if i shot at what invades my yard.

Why do you hate moose and Athabascans?  :(

katmai

Because one is drunk and the other keeps eating all the vegetation.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 04:00:29 PM
I have given it some careful consideration ofer the last wo and a half years, as I wanted to be sure to give Cal the best possible advice.

I have now voted: Apple, Peach and Pear
Got two out of three now. :cool:

Not sure I'd plant another fruit, but if I do it'd probably be a pear, yeah.  That's aside from the pawpaw patch I'm definitely going to plant once I have the shitload of time it'll take (since I'll need to do it back in my woods and clear a bunch of brush out first to make room).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

I'm now getting lots of cherry tomatoes out of my garden, soon will be getting large tomatoes. I've gotten lettuce also. I got a lot of corn, but this is the first year I've had groundhogs raiding the garden. Man, those furry little terrorists do huge crop damage! They've gotten as much corn as I have. Now they're fat little suckers too!!! 

Over the last week I've been picking the corn early, before it's fully ripe, but still good eating, just not fully filled out. A real bummer though.  I blanched and froze a couple dozen ears of corn, and have also been eating corn almost daily for the last two weeks.

I have over one hundred corn plants, many with two ears of corn, and so much of it ruined. I called an exterminator who placed traps. So far we've caught a possum and a squirrel. Not bad but the real monsters are the groundhogs, aka woodchucks.  He lives under my neighor's shed. I saw him the other day a couple of times, his head out from under the shed eyeing the smorgasbord of my garden. My neighbor and I put a trap near the shed. That furry little cretin walked halfway into the trap but stopped. Damn!   :thumbsdown:

When we catch the critters, I'm going to mount their heads on pikes around my garden! That's sure to put the fear into any others!   :ph34r:

I'm researching on how best to do a fence. These little terrorists can tunnel under, and climb over a fence, if it's not done right. They can probably also parachute in too, or drive their little AFVs over my wire. So I'm going to have to plan my fence accordingly!

I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. I don't remember if he won or lost against the rodent horde.   :unsure:

Ed Anger

My wife's garden is dead. Between the numnuts who didn't water it while we were away and what looked like rampant animal attacks destroyed it.

The animals will pay. Severely.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Yep Ed, so sad, after all the work. I'm still hoping to get some beans too, so that will help assuage my garden veggie hunger. Have some of those veggies with some roast woodchuck.   :)

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 09:19:45 PM
My wife's garden is dead. Between the numnuts who didn't water it while we were away

Can you sue Mexico?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I caught an oppossum last night; it was in the trap this morning. So far two possums and one squirrel. But no woodchuck monsters.   :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2012, 12:52:26 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 09:19:45 PM
My wife's garden is dead. Between the numnuts who didn't water it while we were away

Can you sue Mexico?

And have the housekeeper steal all my DVD's and Lemon Pledge?

Caliga

Harvested my apples today. :cool:

Ok... my apple. :blush:  Goddamn hail knocking all the apple buds off my granny smith except for one. :mad:

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on October 27, 2012, 06:55:18 PM
Harvested my apples today. :cool:

Ok... my apple. :blush:  Goddamn hail knocking all the apple buds off my granny smith except for one. :mad:

We've had a disastrous apple crop in Blighty this year; the cider will be thin on the ground and expensive.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Interestingly, the Russian version of Frere Jacques's lyrics are "Artichokes and almonds do not grow in Europe; what a tragedy."  Except artichokes and almonds do grow in Europe.  WTF?  Stupid Russo-French folk song parodies.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

I recently learned that it's possible to grow pomegranates here (though the climate is far from ideal). :thumbsup:

Ed Anger

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2012, 09:29:04 PM
Sacrifice the remaining apple to the Apple god.
I don't think Steve Jobs appreciates those kinds of sacrifices. :menace: