News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lord of the Rings Online thread

Started by Berkut, March 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Day off - had forgotten all servers are down for maintenance until noonish.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2009, 12:49:40 AM
I looked at the class, but it seems to be neither a real tank nor a real healer, so it didn't interest me much. I like tanking, but I prefer going "full tank" for that.

It works well as a tank.  In some circumstances where mutiple mobs need tanking a Warden can do better then a Guardian because Wardens have better aoe aggro skills.

Wardens are not meant has healers.  The self healing Warden can do are a nice benefit though since it takes pressure off the healers who can then concentrate on the other dps squishies.  From what I read on the forums in the end game instances Guardians are better tanking one on one but also from what I have read there are not many of those encounters where a Guardian can actually stand there for long.  Unlike WoW it looks that a lot of kiting and exchanging of aggro that is required.

Plus Wardens solo a lot faster because they do a lot more damage.

I could never go back to my Guardian after playing with the Warden up to the same level.

My guardian is 34 and is now a mule.  My Warden hit 37 over the weekend.

Syt

Alright, I rolled a Hobbit warden. Seems straight forward enough, but could someone please explain gambits to me? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2009, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2009, 01:18:18 PM
Alright, I rolled a Hobbit warden. Seems straight forward enough, but could someone please explain gambits to me? :unsure:

Imagine a clenched fist shaking slightly from side to side.  :bowler:

:huh:

Never mind, though. I didn't notice I had to buy gambits from my trainer.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2009, 02:03:29 PM
Never mind, though. I didn't notice I had to buy gambits from my trainer.  :blush:

:lol:

Just make sure you take the time to study which gambits are the most effective in particulary circumstances.  Early on that is easy because you get very few but as you level you get much more variety and you will have access to 2, 3, 4 and 5 slot gambits.  Each has their place and can have a huge impact on gameplay.

I love this class for that.  Its not just pluggin away at the same buttons over and over.  You have to think about your strategy and plan ahead a bit.  You dont want to be in the middle of bulding up a 4 slot gambit only to realize that you should have started another gambit entirely.  Also, you can shift to another gambit in midstream if you are really on the ball.

As one of our Kinmates said, "Wardens are one of those classes you cant just pick up after a week or two away.  You really have to know what you are doing" or words to the effect.

Crazy_Ivan80

and for those few europeans plaing on laurelin... (about 1, excepting me :D): the Flame of the North still exists albeit in a much reduced form (4 peeps and a horsehead). Oh well :D

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2009, 02:10:42 PM
As one of our Kinmates said, "Wardens are one of those classes you cant just pick up after a week or two away.  You really have to know what you are doing" or words to the effect.

That makes it sound like I should stick with my Champions/Guardians/Hunters. ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

For teh record, LOTRO at 1680x1050 with 4x AA, and all the bells and whistles cranked to max looks amazing.

I think the biggest grpahical "wow" difference was being able to ramp the draw distance out to ultra high. The world suddenly seems much more epic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2009, 02:18:13 PM
For teh record, LOTRO at 1680x1050 with 4x AA, and all the bells and whistles cranked to max looks amazing.

I think the biggest grpahical "wow" difference was being able to ramp the draw distance out to ultra high. The world suddenly seems much more epic.

I'm running it at max all at 1920x1200 and have a good time. If only the objects in the distance wouldn't "pop up". :(

I especially like the shadows from objects (trees, buildings) on my char.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Mind posting a screenshot for those of us who may never get to dream that impossible dream?  Thanks in advance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Mind you, the engine is two years old. And Oblivion or FO3 this is not. Also, I'm still in the starting area of dwarves/elves.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Yep,  I took a few moments just to look around after I got the new rig.  The world looks very nice.

Sophie Scholl

Thanks Syt.  Definately does look nice on those settings.  When I played way back in the beta I had lower settings and it was still pretty to look at, but those shots are fantastic.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould