MS Flight is a joke and sucks: the X-Plane 10 thread

Started by Caliga, February 28, 2012, 08:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

It's not the MS sim but I have DCS Black Shark and it's tough as shit.  I'd love to get their A-10C game but it requires so much time just to learn how to start the bird that I never got it.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 09:34:42 PM
Also, my ancient Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick is compatible with it, including the throttle lever and twist yaw control. :cool:

I took off from SDF and navigated to my house strictly by using the road network... it had basically every road along the way, including even my subdivision.  Impressive. :showoff:

Please continue to share your impressions. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: PRC on July 24, 2012, 11:41:06 PM
It's not the MS sim but I have DCS Black Shark and it's tough as shit.  I'd love to get their A-10C game but it requires so much time just to learn how to start the bird that I never got it.

Yeah i picked up the A-10, now need to spend the money for good controllers system :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Ha, Microsoft just announced that they're cancelling further development of Flight.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on July 26, 2012, 05:33:02 AM
Ha, Microsoft just announced that they're cancelling further development of Flight.

So...no more Flight Simulator and no more Flight?   :(

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 26, 2012, 07:35:12 AM
So...no more Flight Simulator and no more Flight?   :(
I don't think they've officially said no more "ever", but it seems like a good possibility.

Syt

So how's your opinion of the new X-Plane so far? I think about pulling the trigger on this one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2012, 03:27:22 AM
So how's your opinion of the new X-Plane so far? I think about pulling the trigger on this one.
Have only spent like an hour messing with it.... been working crazy hours this week.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Thread topic updated.

I was playing X-Plane the other day and have a couple of observations:

1.  My joystick is only intermittently working it at all... usually Win 7 will not recognize it's been plugged in.  I think I'm finally going to go apeshit and buy the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna 'system'... basically a full scale repro of a Cessna yoke and throttle quadrant, which you can buy endless addons for: rudder pedals, radio stacks, etc.  I found a YouTube video the other day this nigga put up who has pumped $10,000 into his flightsim hobby.  I don't think I'll go quite THAT far, though.

2.  I was flying a Cirrus TheJet (with the mouse  :yuk: ), which is an interesting experience since it's the size of a Cessna but cruises at around 350 knots.  Anyway, I saw a heavy in the skies over Louisville and was actually able to catch up to it, which is something I've never done in a simulator before since it's generally not even close to possible due to the speed differential.  It turned out to be a 747 painted in... NASA livery that seemed to be circling over the city. :area52:

I got right behind it and was amazed that the sim actually registered that I was caught in the 747's jet wash!  I was able to get close enough to see the exhaust from two of the wing engines, and then was hit with the jet wash turbulence and sent spinning out of control.... the g forces also caused my virtual pilot to black out, but amazingly I was able to recover and avoided a crash.  Anyway, it was one of those "wow, I can't believe they actually modeled that" sort of simulator experiences. :cool:

Also, the entire time the TCAS (collision detection) system in my Cirrus was going off, which was cool... I don't think FSX ever attempted to model that.

Syt

I read that most airports aren't rendered with any buildings at all, and that the landscape is a bit dodgy unless you fly in great heights?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Correct, most airports are just a simple runway and taxiways.  I will say that the airports around Louisville at least have accurately rendered runways, but it's just the runway and nothing else which is a bit of a downer.  New scenery has been gradually coming out, though, and I expect the pace will increase now that MS Flight is officially dead.

Not sure about the landscape being dodgy... sometimes the rendering of cities is a little odd in that you will see large 'parks' in the middle of them, but the road layout for Louisville is basically 100% accurate.  So it's like the sim sometimes guesses wrong about whether an area would be built up or not.  However, subdivisions look nice and realistic, and the highways are very well done in that you can see highway signs on them, they have nice lighting at night, etc.  Also, the simulated traffic looks good and even includes nice touches like the occasional police car/ambulance zooming by with lights on.