News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on April 08, 2009, 12:25:09 PM
And it is true that mountain bikes are very inefficient on pavement.

If the one I passed yesterday is anything to go by, then yes;
I popped out to drop something off at a mates house and to go round the block, I was going up a 'paved' hill and this bloke on compact mountain bike wearing all the kit appeared up a head, surprisingly it wasn't long before I came up on him, I could either slow down quite a bit and wait to overtake, because there was quite a bit of traffic about, but I decided to step up a gear and pass him quickly before any more cars appeared on my tail.
As I passed him I said Hi, which I think coming from a bloke wear jeans, sneekers and sweatshirt riding an old knackered hybrid he took as some sort of personal insult, because 20 seconds later I noticed a shadow right up close to my bike, the guy drafted me up the remainder of the hill and all the way down until I pealed of to go a different route.  :lol: 

Don't know what that was all about, maybe I infringed on some cyclist etiquette, all I know is drafting someone you don't know or at least know of and have made you presence know to, is a rather daft thing to do, especially on a public road.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: fahdiz on April 08, 2009, 11:00:55 AM
:D  Tip over, did you?  That's the thing about clips; they're awesome once you're very comfortable with them, and until then they're a tip waiting to happen. :D

Yup, had to slam on the brakes going into a corner too fast and then I lost it.
At least it's less embarrassing than tipping over at a traffic light because you forgot to release the shoe in time.  :blush:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2009, 07:37:16 PM

Don't know what that was all about, maybe I infringed on some cyclist etiquette, all I know is drafting someone you don't know or at least know of and have made you presence know to, is a rather daft thing to do, especially on a public road.

Yes, it is. You should have brake tested him.

Eochaid

I've put on a bit of weight lately (mainly love handles  :blush:)

New stats:

Height: 6'3 (1m90)
Weight: 230lbs (103kg, 16.5st - up from 210lbs)
Body Fat: 16% (up from 15%)
BMI: 26

Kevin
It's been a while

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2009, 07:08:14 PM
Heh, when I used to do a lot of running, years ago, I wore the thinest knackered old cotton socks I could find along with Silver Shadows.  :blush:

The one thing I *do* know about workout gear in general is that cotton is the devil, and now that we have synthetic fibers which are just as comfortable as cotton, there's no need to wear it when exercising.  I picked up some Nike running socks (all synthetic) at the sporting goods store last night just before my run.  They are great - comfortable, good cushioning, and most importantly kept my feet dry.
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: Eochaid on April 09, 2009, 05:52:18 AM

I've put on a bit of weight lately (mainly love handles  :blush:)

New stats:

Height: 6'3 (1m80)
Weight: 230lbs (103kg, 16.5st - up from 210lbs)
Body Fact: 16% (up from 15%)
BMI: 26

Kevin

That is not bad at all.  You would be skinny by American standards. :P  My BMI is about 27 right now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 186 (as of this morning)
Body Fat %: unknown
BMI: 26.7 (according to one of those online calculator things)

Barrister

You're all a bunch of fat bastards.

BMI=22.8
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 12:01:18 PM

BMI=22.8

Hey!  I'm working on it!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lucidor

Quote from: fahdiz on April 08, 2009, 02:29:18 PM
Anybody who runs - do you have recommendations on brand/model of running socks?
I run mostly in cotton, but my toes are sore a lot, so I should probably try to change that. I have some nice ancle all synthetic ones from Craft that are pretty good. At least your feet tend to stay drier in them.

Trying to get in shape for half a marathon May 1st. Last year's time was 1.46.30, so I want to shave off 1.30 if possible, to say that I have a 5 min/km pace

Lucidor

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 12:01:18 PM

BMI=22.8

Shove it, pencil-neck.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

what does it mean, hypothetically if your BMI is over 100? :unsure:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Lucidor

I've seen a woman with BMI 85 and a man with BMI 121. They both were pretty fat.