News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 05:53:58 PM
Wait - I thought it was only Americans who were grossly obese.

Maybe they were Yankee tourists!

"Our sightseeing trip today consists of walking ten feet!  Congratulations."
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 09, 2009, 05:47:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2009, 02:53:11 PM
Didn't know you were Dutch.

Not really something to flaunt, is it?  ;)

So the Netherlanders+mountains thing is true.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2009, 08:11:13 PM
So the Netherlanders+mountains thing is true.  :cool:

Absolutely. Having none, we have to adopt them  :)

Eochaid

Quote from: Norgy on April 09, 2009, 12:22:22 PMSince when is six foot three 1.80? :o
Has the foot shrunk?

Typo fixed. I'm 1m90 :)

Kevin
It's been a while

Eochaid

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 11:38:51 AMThat is not bad at all.  You would be skinny by American standards. :P  My BMI is about 27 right now.

I'll try to post a pic in TBR some time soon :)

Kevin
It's been a while

fhdz

10 mile bike ride yesterday followed almost immediately by a 2 mile run/walk.  Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

PDH

I am waiting for warm weather to come so I can start my bike riding in earnest - I try to do 100 miles a week from May-Sept.  I might cut that down a bit as I want to do more hiking this year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on April 13, 2009, 11:24:34 AM
I am waiting for warm weather to come so I can start my bike riding in earnest - I try to do 100 miles a week from May-Sept.  I might cut that down a bit as I want to do more hiking this year.

That's outstanding!  Do you commute to work during those months?

PDH

I ride to work all year round - January is brrr here on the high plains.  It is only about a 5 mile total round trip, including the biking to my office or to teach class.  I up that once it gets warmer.  Because of the area it is mostly off-road (a ten minute ride gets me to public land, a fifteen minute drive gets me to a state monument with outstanding trails for bikes, a thirty minute drive gets me to the high mountains and the trails there).

Because I bike year round I never have to worry about Bikers-Ass in late Spring.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Running thirty minutes a day and the machines here.  Hard as fuck, especially with a bout of manorexia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 11:37:10 AM
Running thirty minutes a day and the machines here.  Hard as fuck, especially with a bout of manorexia.

Are you running for the full 30 minutes?  Or do you take walking breaks?  What's your average distance per 30 min run?

lustindarkness

I see my friend Z has grown up to an athlete. I'm so proud.  :hug: Keep it up.
Cross training is the best way to get fitter, burn more calories and minimize injuries. Maybe someday I'll go and run a race with you (does not have to be a full, I'll let you do a half ;)).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Queequeg

Quote from: fahdiz on April 13, 2009, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 11:37:10 AM

Are you running for the full 30 minutes?  Or do you take walking breaks?  What's your average distance per 30 min run?
Its on a machine, and I take a two minute break every 11 minute (actually about 36 minutes to account for breaks) to catch breath and drink some water. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

fhdz

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2009, 12:54:22 PM
I see my friend Z has grown up to an athlete. I'm so proud.  :hug: Keep it up.
Cross training is the best way to get fitter, burn more calories and minimize injuries. Maybe someday I'll go and run a race with you (does not have to be a full, I'll let you do a half ;)).

My intent right now is to become a real triathlete, doing at least two of them a year.

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:55:49 PM
Its on a machine, and I take a two minute break every 11 minute (actually about 36 minutes to account for breaks) to catch breath and drink some water.

How far are you running?