And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: fahdiz on April 13, 2009, 12:59:13 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:55:49 PM
Its on a machine, and I take a two minute break every 11 minute (actually about 36 minutes to account for breaks) to catch breath and drink some water.

How far are you running?
Three miles plus, including resistance.  Its a fairly automated machine; set in age, weight, program, time, boom.  Have to admit I am humiliatingly out of shape. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

lustindarkness

Quote from: fahdiz on April 13, 2009, 12:58:34 PM

My intent right now is to become a real triathlete, doing at least two of them a year.

Niiice, hell, If you buy me a bike I'll race one of those with you too.  :D

I may train for another marathon this year, but not sure if my knees will appreciate it.  :( Also, nothing like training for one in the B'ham summer, go out for the weekend long run at 5am before the temps go above 90. :melt:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 01:01:40 PM
Three miles plus, including resistance.  Its a fairly automated machine; set in age, weight, program, time, boom.  Have to admit I am humiliatingly out of shape.

If you're running over three miles in half an hour, you're not in any way "humiliatingly out of shape".
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2009, 01:05:50 PM
Niiice, hell, If you buy me a bike I'll race one of those with you too.  :D

:D  No. :P  But I think you can rent bikes...

PDH

Oh, and since the first of the year I have lost 15 lbs.  It is amazing how eating less leads to weight loss.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on April 13, 2009, 04:33:38 PM
Oh, and since the first of the year I have lost 15 lbs.  It is amazing how eating less leads to weight loss.

:D  It is amazing, isn't it?

Congrats. :)

fhdz

Running program proceeds apace.  I'm stepping up tonight to 3 min run / 1 min walk x 7 (with 2 min of running tacked onto the end to hit 30 min total).

The part which I thought would be easiest at first (given the fact that I used to do it a great deal) is in fact the most difficult for me: swimming.  Turns out that smoking for over a decade fucks up your in-water lung capacity quite a bit. <_<  I'm keeping at it, and it is slowly getting better.  I can swim 900 meters now with only a few breaks.

crazy canuck

After a bit of an absence I am back at the gym.   I have to catch up to my wife.  After gaining some weight over the last couple years she made a determined effort to slim back down to her usual weight.

Lucidor

Race this weekend, 21 km. I finished in 1.38.30, which is excellent compared to the 1.45 that I was aiming for.

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on April 06, 2009, 04:27:47 PM
From what i recall there was only a  handful of people who posted frequently, with the likes of Meri and Brazen being frequent contributors...and since no Meri here and Brazen proclaiming failure you are left all alone fahdizzle. :console:

I'm back. I'll help. :)

I've started following Jeremy's diet, which is very low carbs and about 1800 calories. (Jeremy eats double that in calories, but I'm not a teenage boy.  <_< ) Plus, I'm putting in a 20' x 40' veggie garden, a 5' x 10' herbal garden, and walking at least 30 minutes every day. I'm just starting all of this so no changes yet, but I'm fairly sure I'll notice things in the next few weeks.

For the record,  I am 5'2" and around 180 pounds. (I fluctuate up and down five pounds depending on the time of day, the day of the week, and the way the wind blows.) I should lose about 40 pounds (any more than that and I look sickly since I'm so solidly built, i.e. big-boobed and big-butted), but my goal is only 30 at the moment. I'll reevaluate when that happens.

My REAL goal is to get a 30" waist again... maybe 27", if I really work at it. It was 24" pre-kids, but that just might be really pushing it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Finally below 220 lbs, this is significant as 4 years ago I weighed over 320 lbs.  218 this morning, with my goal at 200 (6' tall) by the time September ends...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on May 02, 2009, 10:10:07 AM
Finally below 220 lbs, this is significant as 4 years ago I weighed over 320 lbs.  218 this morning, with my goal at 200 (6' tall) by the time September ends...

:w00t: :yeah:

Well done!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on May 02, 2009, 10:10:07 AM
Went through something similar a few years ago.  Felt amazing.   :hug:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: Lucidor on May 02, 2009, 09:59:47 AM
Race this weekend, 21 km. I finished in 1.38.30, which is excellent compared to the 1.45 that I was aiming for.

:o

Thats proper running, none of that jogging stuff or ambling to the end of a marathon in 5-6 hours.  You did what an average of 8 mph ? :cool:

Well done. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lucidor

Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2009, 11:47:19 AM
Quote from: Lucidor on May 02, 2009, 09:59:47 AM

:o

Thats proper running, none of that jogging stuff or ambling to the end of a marathon in 5-6 hours.  You did what an average of 8 mph ? :cool:

Well done. :cheers:
Thanks!

The fun thing is that I wasn't aware I could keep up with the 4.30 minutes/km crowd. I slacked off some the last 8-10 km, but I was still pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I should do more intervals?

Next "big race" is Lidingöloppet. 30 km, with pretty hilly terrain in September.