Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on August 31, 2020, 02:47:24 PM

The only measure that's trustworthy today is excess deaths.

Great point. Suicides are up. Violent crime is up. Lots of medical treatments for life threatening diseases like cancer were deferred. People have been scared into not going to the hospital even with conditions like chest pain. Lets count it all as covid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 31, 2020, 02:58:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 31, 2020, 02:53:20 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 31, 2020, 02:47:24 PM
Quote from: Threviel on August 31, 2020, 02:39:19 PM
I'm just reporting the latest analysis of the present data. If facts is a problem for you Tamas, well, your loss I guess.

I believe time and better data and better analysis tools will improve the picture and change our view, but at present we can only use what we know now. Tomorrow we'll know even better. That's how science works and if the result of that does not fit your pre-conceived notions, well, your loss.

The only measure that's trustworthy today is excess deaths. Sweden's numbers are terrible in that regard.

I believe that even in a few decades, the same measure will be used to determine the outcome of the different approaches.

It's ok to say your country fucked up you know. Nothing will happen to you.

:huh: My impression is that Sweden is one of the countries with the smallest discrepancy between official Covid-19 deaths and excess mortality.

Ok? I'm not taking about discrepancy but excess deaths themselves.

:huh: Surely if the official Covid-19 deaths match the number of excess deaths, and the number of excess deaths is terrible, then also the official number of Covid-19 deaths is terrible. Why did you bring up excess deaths as separate to the official Covid-19 numbers for Sweden and imply that the Covid-19 numbers are untrustworthy?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

"Covid cause his heart to fail resulting in his death"

"So, he died of heart failure not Covid?"

"That's not what I said"

"All I'm hearing is that he died from heart failure, not Covid.  We're going to run with that."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Sweden's excess mortality figures as reported e.g. by The Economist are not good, but there are plenty of Western countries with worse numbers. I guess within its peer group of other Nordic countries, Sweden did not do well. Also central Europe did better. But compared to some Western European countries e.g. Netherlands or France, their numbers are in the same ballpark.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

celedhring

The Spanish second wave numbers are really puzzling.

Obviously testing is much more widespread now compared to the first wave, so the massive reduction in mortality (red bars) is partly explained by that. Also the fact that the average age of people diagnosed with the illness has dropped below 40 years. But it's still a shocking graph. Nationwide hospital occupancy by Covid patients is also at a low 6%.

Sheilbh

That is extraordinary. I suppose some of it will also be lag - but seeing the mid-point is June it feels like that shouldn't be too much of an impact. I wonder if healthcare systems are holding up better because they're testing more so catching it early, treatment may have only improved a little but it feels like if they can monitor it they spot it early they can monitor it more and maybe get people in hospital when necessary, not when they're really struggling?

But I do find it amazing (and really sad) how lethal this disease is for the elderly compared to everyone else. I think the UK figures on, say 30-39 year olds, is that the IFR is 0.8% so if that's the groups that are being infected, I suppose we'll see a low rate of deaths. But that IFR climbs to about 5% for 70-79 year olds and around 9% for the over 80s. It's so extreme.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Could it be that the vulnerable groups are keeping to preventive measures like social distancing much better so they don't get as much infected as during the first wave? Encouraging none the less.

Tamas

Also could it be that a large proportion of those who were really prone of dying from this have already lost their lives to it?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2020, 04:25:55 AM
Also could it be that a large proportion of those who were really prone of dying from this have already lost their lives to it?
Yeah - I mean I sort of wonder if a large proportion of those who were prone to dying fullstop lost their lives to this. Like I wonder if it went after the really vulnerable in that age group because I find it really weird that several countries with bad outbreaks - the UK, Italy, France, Netherlands, I think Spain too - now have had a couple of months of more of deaths running quite a lot below average.

Crime was down and accidents were down, but I think a lot of things should have got back to normal by now and I wonder how much of that is because this disease really devastated the physically weakest earlier in the year.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2020, 04:23:04 AM
But I do find it amazing (and really sad) how lethal this disease is for the elderly compared to everyone else.

Really? I think it's one of the best things about this disease. I much prefer old people to die instead of young people, and I know many people who feel the same (certainly the old people I've talked to).

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on September 01, 2020, 04:15:54 AM
The Spanish second wave numbers are really puzzling.

Obviously testing is much more widespread now compared to the first wave, so the massive reduction in mortality (red bars) is partly explained by that. Also the fact that the average age of people diagnosed with the illness has dropped below 40 years. But it's still a shocking graph. Nationwide hospital occupancy by Covid patients is also at a low 6%.

Numbers for Austria aren't as extreme, but Vienna numbers are beyond the original peak numbers, but hospitalizations and deaths are way, way lower than in March/April (not that they were bad to begin with ...).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2020, 04:33:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2020, 04:25:55 AM
Yeah - I mean I sort of wonder if a large proportion of those who were prone to dying fullstop lost their lives to this. Like I wonder if it went after the really vulnerable in that age group because I find it really weird that several countries with bad outbreaks - the UK, Italy, France, Netherlands, I think Spain too - now have had a couple of months of more of deaths running quite a lot below average.

Crime was down and accidents were down, but I think a lot of things should have got back to normal by now and I wonder how much of that is because this disease really devastated the physically weakest earlier in the year.

At least in Sweden my impression certainly is that many who died of Covid-19 would have died in 2020 even without Covid-19.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on September 01, 2020, 04:35:20 AM
Really? I think it's one of the best things about this disease. I much prefer old people to die instead of young people, and I know many people who feel the same (certainly the old people I've talked to).
Yeah I get what you mean. I suppose I just think they're among the most vulnerable and weakest, and so the people we have the highest responsibility to look after (and we failed in this country).
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

But I do find it amazing (and really sad) how lethal this disease is for the elderly compared to everyone else.

Why do you hate the olds?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on September 01, 2020, 04:45:52 AM

Why do you hate the olds?

They're wrinkly and sag a lot.