Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2020, 04:25:55 AM
Also could it be that a large proportion of those who were really prone of dying from this have already lost their lives to it?

In a way it was, the most vulnerable fell in the first wave, when there was little knowledge on the disease, its transmission and how to treat it. At the moment most people getting it are young, and many are asymptomatic.

The Larch

By the way, a guy I met last week for work called me yesterday to inform me that he has had to quarantine himself after an acquaintance tested positive.  :ph34r:  I believe this is the closest I've actually been to contagion. A couple of friends of mine most probably got it back in march/april, but I didn't meet them and only saw them when they recuperated

The Larch

I don't know yet if this is trying to encourage or discourage going back to work from offices.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

It's an advert by Dettol for hand sanitiser etc. They're trying to get you to buy cleaning products.

I feel for their marketing team. It's gone viral but they've cut out the brand :lol: :weep:

Another one about schools:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 03, 2020, 07:15:45 AM
"The boss's jokes". I'll take a pass.

What came to your mind first, Michael Scott or Office Space?  :lol:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Syt

:blush:

I fell kinda asleep through the Thatcher/Brexit hijack. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Robert Pattison now has it. Just saw Berlusconi has been checked into a hospital after testing positive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Real example of American as a real outlier (among rich Western democracies) in terms of polarisation:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Besides the Republican lunacy, I find it quite baffling that 28% of Italian right wingers (mostly northeners from LN) think that it has been exagerated.

The Larch

Yikes.

QuoteCollege professor dies after collapsing during virtual class amid coronavirus battle
Students would ask for her address so they could call an ambulance, but the teacher was barely able to speak, reports said

A college professor in Argentina died on Wednesday after she struggled to breathe and collapsed during a virtual zoom lecture following a weeks-long battle with the coronavirus, according to reports.

Paola de Simone, 46, taught at the Universidad Argentina de la Empresa (UADE) in Buenos Aires. She was married and had a daughter, according to Clarin, a newspaper in the country. De Simone had previously detailed her struggle with COVID-19 in a Twitter post on Aug 28, writing that her symptoms had failed to subside after four weeks.

In the post, she added that her husband -- in the medical therapy and emergencies field -- was exhausted from working so much as the virus continued to impact the South American city.

During the Zoom lecture, her students watched from their own screens as she struggled to breathe, according to MDZ Online, an Argentine newspaper. They asked for her address so they could call an ambulance, but the teacher was hardly able to speak. She only responded "I can't" before passing out.

The Universidad Argentina de la Empresa released a statement conveying "deep sorrow" over her passing, adding that she was a professor at the department of government and international relations and had 15 years of experience at the university.

"Paola was a passionate and dedicated teacher, and a great person," the school wrote, according to Clarin.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould