Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2020, 02:15:59 PM
Contact tracing (at least what I see in Georgia) is a pipe dream that lives on the internet.

Yup.  See also: https://www.nola.com/news/healthcare_hospitals/article_e131af56-d377-11ea-bfe0-7bf39e6fe07a.html

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2020, 02:15:59 PM
What is the point of contact tracing if it takes 8 days to get test results?

Not sure.  Let's check in with someone who might know?

Quote"If someone isn't tested until they show symptoms and you don't get the result and begin to trace for seven, eight, nine days after that, there's not a lot of benefit to tracing," said John Barry, the New Orleans historian who wrote "The Great Influenza," a bestseller about the 1918 flu pandemic.

Oh.

DGuller

Ordinarily I might have some benefit of the doubt for this.  Maybe it's better to cast a more narrow net, but then make sure that whoever is caught up in it knows their results next day.  You're miss some asymptomatic people, but you'll have a more usefully timely information for the rest.  However, no one or nothing connect to this administration deserves any benefit of the doubt anymore.

Tamas

Seems like Hungary is getting to the point where heavily doctoring numbers is ill-advised. Even with barely testing anyone they got to the point of about a 100 positives a day and more and more members of government seem to be either infected or having to quarantine because of contact with infected colleagues.

So from 1 September foreigners are barred from entry and Hungarians arriving back need to self-isolate. How that's helping with the increasing number of cases I am not sure.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on August 24, 2020, 11:02:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2020, 01:09:30 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2020, 11:16:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2020, 09:18:47 PM
I've come down with a nasty cough and fever.  So if I just vanish or something you guys will know why.  If it is covid, I know where I got it.  It was those two dip-shit movers from Menards that came in without masks.  So, if it's not too much trouble, maybe one of you guys can just blow up a Menards or something.
Are you going to get tested?  Also, get a pulse oximeter, that'll keep you from being in the dark as to whether you need to be getting to a hospital or not, should you have Covid.

Yeah, I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow.  It's probably nothing, but I'm not taking any chances these days.

Let us know how it goes, please. :hug:

I got the results back Friday; just bronchitis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2020, 09:51:14 AM
I got the results back Friday; just bronchitis.

Thank Hod for that. Take care of yourself and get better!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Has there been any kind of review of official US data for fatalities? I'm reading some wild claims on Twitter about the CDC admitting that only 5% or so of all fatalities are due to COVID, or somesuch, and I fear it's either scientific illiteracy in action or some heavy twisting of the numbers.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2020, 06:08:29 AM
Has there been any kind of review of official US data for fatalities? I'm reading some wild claims on Twitter about the CDC admitting that only 5% or so of all fatalities are due to COVID, or somesuch, and I fear it's either scientific illiteracy in action or some heavy twisting of the numbers.

I think their claim is that almost everyone who died had a comorbidity that was the actual cause of death, not Covid or Covid alone. The question is what falls into that category.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Obviously dying from coronavirus is not as fatal as we were led to believe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

its not the bullet that kills you, its the missing brain matter :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Threviel

Analysis from the Swedish region Östergötland seems to show that about 15% of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 was directly caused by it. In the other 85% COVID-19 was either partially or not at all the cause of death.