Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2020, 11:16:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2020, 09:18:47 PM
I've come down with a nasty cough and fever.  So if I just vanish or something you guys will know why.  If it is covid, I know where I got it.  It was those two dip-shit movers from Menards that came in without masks.  So, if it's not too much trouble, maybe one of you guys can just blow up a Menards or something.
Are you going to get tested?  Also, get a pulse oximeter, that'll keep you from being in the dark as to whether you need to be getting to a hospital or not, should you have Covid.

Yeah, I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow.  It's probably nothing, but I'm not taking any chances these days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2020, 01:09:30 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2020, 11:16:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2020, 09:18:47 PM
I've come down with a nasty cough and fever.  So if I just vanish or something you guys will know why.  If it is covid, I know where I got it.  It was those two dip-shit movers from Menards that came in without masks.  So, if it's not too much trouble, maybe one of you guys can just blow up a Menards or something.
Are you going to get tested?  Also, get a pulse oximeter, that'll keep you from being in the dark as to whether you need to be getting to a hospital or not, should you have Covid.

Yeah, I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow.  It's probably nothing, but I'm not taking any chances these days.

Let us know how it goes, please. :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

They found a person in Hong Kong that had a confirmed infection with one strain of SARS Cov 2 earlier this year and was now confirmed to be infected with a different strain based on RNA analysis of the virus...  :ph34r:

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on August 24, 2020, 12:40:03 PM
They found a person in Hong Kong that had a confirmed infection with one strain of SARS Cov 2 earlier this year and was now confirmed to be infected with a different strain based on RNA analysis of the virus...  :ph34r:

He's young, too, isn't he? Like late-20s/early30s?

Razgovory

Took the test.  God, that was unpleasant.  I'll find out more on Wednesday.  It's probably nothing, but getting tested is the responsible thing to do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2020, 03:43:08 PM
Took the test.  God, that was unpleasant.  I'll find out more on Wednesday.  It's probably nothing, but getting tested is the responsible thing to do.

:hug:

Josquius

I thought we had reinfections in the past?
But...ja. Not good news. If it keeps mutating....

BBC News - Hong Kong reports 'first case' of virus reinfection
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53889823

On a lighter corona note....

BBC News - KFC drops Finger Lickin' Good slogan amid coronavirus
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53901236

Heh
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on August 24, 2020, 12:40:03 PM

We have the first confirmed reinfection as well. It was only to be expected, question is how common it will be.

Sheilbh

Along with the increase in domestic violence, police and charities in the UK recorded 4 times as many contacts from children being physically abused during lockdown. There also appears to have been an increase in sexual abuse and child suicides but they're not calling this a trend yet.

Another one of those points that really makes me think we need to do everything we can to avoid having to go into full lockdown everywhere again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

According to the Guardian beside the Hong Kong guy two Europeans have also been confirmed as having been reinfected.

If reinfecting in a space of a few months is a thing then perhaps what we need is a treatment not a vaccine?

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2020, 11:15:48 AM
According to the Guardian beside the Hong Kong guy two Europeans have also been confirmed as having been reinfected.

If reinfecting in a space of a few months is a thing then perhaps what we need is a treatment not a vaccine?
Seems to me like you need all of vaccine (administered to the whole population at the same time), treatment, and also treatment for long-term effects of Covid.  For all we know, Covid could be something like TB; a disease that's acutely dangerous to some small percentage immediately following the infection, but also a potential ticking time bomb for those that merely have a latent infection.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2020, 11:15:48 AM

I wonder if it'll end up being like flu (except not particularly dangerous to the young)? It'll keep circulating especially in winter. We develop some treatments, we have a base vaccine but this needs to be updated every years based, I understand, on guesses of what this season's will look like and then given to the elderly, immune-suppressed and people with underlying conditions? But there are still some covid deaths every year, especially at winter, just like flu and a bad year is significantly higher and can cause real pressure/crisis in the healthcare system.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2020, 10:56:13 AM
This seems bad? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/566-coronavirus-cases-reported-university-alabama-less-week-classes-started-n1237993

Bait and switch scam. Require the students to report on campus for in-person teaching, wait for inevitable mass outbreak and then move all classes online while you pocket the full tuition fee.  :hmm: Add in the ridiculous financial reliance for many universities on their college team sports and the whole rotten edifice was extremely fragile to just this type of pandemic.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

@Shelf I think over time it's likely to mutate into being less dangerous.  There's no real evolutionary advantage to COVID killing someone, its imperative is only to spread as widely and successfully as possible by getting people sick enough to trigger an autoimmune response that results in them expelling virulent droplets.  I believe this is what happened with syphilis (wasn't syphilis famously the reason behind some Spanish siege in Italy failing, because a lot of the soldiers contracted it and they were dropping like flies?) and probably influenza too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points