US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2020, 10:38:23 AM
I wonder if Iran very carefully targeted their Scuds to miss.

Nope these things aren't nearly accurate enough, indeed reports out of Iraq show pictures of a probably missile strike all of over 100km away from Erbil.

Though maybe that was shot-down in some fashion, though the photos appear to show an impact crater, rather than debrie having just fallen to earth.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2020, 10:16:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2020, 11:45:26 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2020, 10:43:08 PM
Will the title change tomorrow when it turns out to not be true?

It is already true

A few missiles lobbed and a general killed does not a war make.

In a narrow sense you are correct.  But the US and Iran have been in a proxy war off and on for years.  The relationship with Iran looked to be headed for more moderation after the nuclear deal was made under the Obama administration but that tensions have escalated since Trump cancelled the agreement and the latest act of assassinating their top general is not going to end in the lobbing of a few missiles at US bases.

Iran can't win a conventional war.  But what they do best and what has been happening for a while now (and will intensify) is asymmetrical warfare.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2020, 11:31:21 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2020, 11:22:55 AM
Contradiction in terms.

Precisely targeted would be a contradiction in terms.  Carefully is not.

If the missiles landed anywhere near the target they were not careful enough given the inaccuracy of those weapons - ie could easily have killed US troops.

OttoVonBismarck

You guys are talking 2005 era stuff, Iran has much more accurate ballistic weapons now than the old scuds. It's reported they used fin-stabilized Qiam missiles in this strike, which the most recent variants of this scud-derived missile line allows controllers to adjust trajectory mid flight. U.S. Defense Department officials say they're accurate within 10 meters.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2020, 09:57:16 PM
Seems like a rather calm response for Trump (so far, we'll see how he feels in the morning).

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1214739853025394693
QuoteAll is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.

Trump is going cruise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 08, 2020, 11:49:24 AM
You guys are talking 2005 era stuff, Iran has much more accurate ballistic weapons now than the old scuds. It's reported they used fin-stabilized Qiam missiles in this strike, which the most recent variants of this scud-derived missile line allows controllers to adjust trajectory mid flight. U.S. Defense Department officials say they're accurate within 10 meters.

Thanks, then Yi's comment stands  :)

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jan/08/iran-trump-news-today-live-latest-updates-attack-us-base-iraq?page=with:block-5e1608718f08c39722647096#block-5e1608718f08c39722647096

QuoteTrump talks of "shared priorities" with Iran, in apparent de-escalation
Donald Trump rounded off his short TV address to the public with what might normally be considered some small-talk or waffle but in the current context and with this president counts as actual diplomatic outreach.

It may be no more than lip service. But given that Trump often opts for bellicose and extremely simplistic rhetoric in denouncing or threatening anyone he regards as a foe, his closing sentences were noteworthy.

In fact, all the signals from the last 19 or so hours are that both Iran and the US have embarked on a hasty de-escalation of their sudden crisis.

As he wound down his speech moments ago, Trump referred to the battle against Islamic State, and American forces' assassination of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi last October.

But then he swiftly pivoted.

"ISIS is a natural enemy of Iran," Trump said at the White House. "We should work together on this and other shared priorities. To the people and leaders of Iran, we want you to have a future, and a great future, one that you deserve, of prosperity and harmony."

He concluded that the US is "ready to embrace peace with all who seek it."

This might be meaningless chat from the US president but indicates an unusual level-headedness, however brief, communicated via Trump by those advising him and is a clear de-escalation of the rhetoric.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

This result likely seals Trump's reelection.

4 more years of this bullshit, Jesus Christ.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 08, 2020, 12:14:44 PM

People won't remember this. His reelection will hinge on perception of the economy, as usual.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 08, 2020, 12:34:35 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 08, 2020, 12:14:44 PM

People won't remember this. His reelection will hinge on perception of the economy, as usual.

This is 'wrapping up' a little soon for that aim.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar