US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2020, 03:04:51 PM
I don't necessarily agree.  Proxy attacks on US targets is exactly what the drone hit was a response to.
You could be right, but I mean more things like this:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/17/iran-bomb-plot-israel-nuclear-talks

Or even the Buenos Aires bombing which take a lot longer and require investigation before you can really say it was Iran.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2020, 03:10:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2020, 03:04:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2020, 02:56:11 PM
Yeah.

I don't necessarily agree.  Proxy attacks on US targets is exactly what the drone hit was a response to.

As much as I hate to say, this whole train of events is turning out quite well for Trump.

Even assuming this doesn't escalate into wider conflicts with Iran, I don't know this is true.

Perhaps understandable, but the Trump administration didn't consult with anyone about this strike.  Not it's NATO partners, not the Iraqi government, nobody.  This move is going to increasing limit the US ability to conduct similar strike within Iraq in future even if troops aren't kicked out of the country, and may well result in other nations (like Canada) pulling out their troops.

This sounds like a problem for the US, not for Trump.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
Your President doesn't look healthy.

Physically, mentally, spiritually, morally...anything I'm leaving out?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Perhaps understandable, but the Trump administration didn't consult with anyone about this strike.  Not it's NATO partners, not the Iraqi government, nobody.  This move is going to increasing limit the US ability to conduct similar strike within Iraq in future even if troops aren't kicked out of the country, and may well result in other nations (like Canada) pulling out their troops.
Yeah. I still feel like some form of attack on US allies is probably likely. Hurts the US, but isn't something Trump would care about.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2020, 04:10:48 PM
Yeah. I still feel like some form of attack on US allies is probably likely. Hurts the US, but isn't something Trump would care about.

It crossed my mind when the targeting of Dubai was mentioned--a lot of Trump voters would probably see that as a positive.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 08, 2020, 04:26:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2020, 04:10:48 PM

It crossed my mind when the targeting of Dubai was mentioned--a lot of Trump voters would probably see that as a positive.

I assume the reference was to the American troops stationed there.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Well I am not sure what to make of it. Were these known to be uninhabited buildings the Iranians specifically targeted?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 08, 2020, 12:14:44 PM
This result likely seals Trump's reelection.

4 more years of this bullshit, Jesus Christ.

Maybe, but I would prefer not to beat him because he put us into a disastrous war or tanked the economy. I am still hopeful he can be beaten before those things occur.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I saw those pictures earlier.  So it seems like the public theater did not involve targeting nearby empty fields, but rather warning everyone at the airbases to take shelter before the strikes. I heard a commentator mentioning the Iranians were sending a message by demonstrating the accuracy of their missiles.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2020, 04:40:56 PM
Well I am not sure what to make of it. Were these known to be uninhabited buildings the Iranians specifically targeted?

Most of them look like those open sided metal roof structures commonly used on airbases there to shelter aircraft/crew from the sun; in some of the pictures you can see where the 'tin' metal sheets have been blown up or out of position on nearby similar shelters.

mongers

Anyone else think the grey objects in the bottom right corner of image 5 look quite a bit like predator drones?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

This whole "Light a fire, extinguish it, demand applause" routine is getting annoying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

In conclusion, the Middle East is a land of contrasts

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1215028542813220864

@SenMikeLee

: "It is not acceptable for officials within the executive branch of government...to come in and tell us that we can't debate and discuss the appropriateness of military intervention against Iran. It's un-American. It's unconstitutional and it's wrong."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point