US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Is Lindsey Graham for real:

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said on Fox News this evening that Iran's attack on Iraqi bases housing US troops was "an act of war".

"The president has all the authority he needs under Article II to respond," the Trump loyalist said to host Sean Hannity, referring to Article II of the US Constitution which delineates presidential power.

"How he responds is yet to be determined, but he has that authority to respond."

Graham concluded by saying he had just spoken to President Trump, and appeared to threaten Iranian oil targets.

"Let me say tonight, if you are watching television in Iran, I just got off the phone to the president - your fate is in your own hands in terms of the regime's economic viability. You continue this crap, you're going to wake up one day out of the oil business."

If he is, then he's just given the 'enemy' forewarning of attack; I wonder if that might endanger any US personnel? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Back from the fallout shelter. Looks like we won this one. Congrats everyone!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Will the title change tomorrow when it turns out to not be true?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2020, 09:29:16 PM
Photos have been posted of scud sized missile stages having landed in iraq, by the looks of it those are photos taken in the Iraq countryside, rather from within a US base, so might suggest these are simple inaccurate short range or IRBM strikes.

Maybe we're going to get lucky and no US personel were it? though reports have circulated that some Iraqis have been injured/
I think Iran's got more sophisticated military options than that - I seem to remember when they attacked that oil facility in Saudi that one of the really striking things was how accurate they were. So if there are minimal casualties I don't think it would be an accident.

Also looks like Zarif is trying to give Trump a way out: this is their "proportionate response" to Soleimani's assasination. But it's a one off for that action, not a wider escalation so it's over the US. Edit: And apparently Iranian TV is basically saying if the US doesn't respond, this is over.

And I don't think Trump will do anything more. His latest statement is the most peaceful it's been all week:
QuoteAll is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.

Of course that's almost certainly not it by Iran and I'd expect at some point in the next few years that there'll be some bombs somewhere in the world, planted by people at an arm's length distance from Iran that kills American diplomats, soldiers, civilians.

Edit: Also reports of a Ukrainian Airways plane carrying 180 people crashing shortly after take-off from Tehran airport. Technical issues apparently? So maybe means nothing in relation to this whole situation? But given the timing this is a stressful time for an accidental tragedy :(
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2020, 10:55:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2020, 09:29:16 PM
Photos have been posted of scud sized missile stages having landed in iraq, by the looks of it those are photos taken in the Iraq countryside, rather from within a US base, so might suggest these are simple inaccurate short range or IRBM strikes.

Maybe we're going to get lucky and no US personel were it? though reports have circulated that some Iraqis have been injured/
I think Iran's got more sophisticated military options than that - I seem to remember when they attacked that oil facility in Saudi that one of the really striking things was how accurate they were. So if there are minimal casualties I don't think it would be an accident.

Also looks like Zarif is trying to give Trump a way out: this is their "proportionate response" to Soleimani's assasination. But it's a one off for that action, not a wider escalation so it's over the US. Edit: And apparently Iranian TV is basically saying if the US doesn't respond, this is over.

And I don't think Trump will do anything more. His latest statement is the most peaceful it's been all week:
QuoteAll is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.

Of course that's almost certainly not it by Iran and I'd expect at some point in the next few years that there'll be some bombs somewhere in the world, planted by people at an arm's length distance from Iran that kills American diplomats, soldiers, civilians.

Edit: Also reports of a Ukrainian Airways plane carrying 180 people crashing shortly after take-off from Tehran airport. Technical issues apparently? So maybe means nothing in relation to this whole situation? But given the timing this is a stressful time for an accidental tragedy :(

Yes I was aware of the 'Houthi' drone attack capability and agree they'd be keeping something like that in their hand rather than playing it straight away, but given the nature of these scud like missiles it's in the lap of the gods if they hit anything at all or say a dining hall as in the Gulf war.

They aren't guided, instead relying on inertial navigation and probably have CEP in the regions of kms rather than metres.  Unless of course the Iran 'versions' have some active homing/terminal guidance which I think would be unlikely.

And I'd go with my initial assessment that the intention was to draw blood and do some damage, but only just enough to satisfy the leadership in Iran.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2020, 10:55:25 PM

I'd expect some embassy bombings or assassinations in the next couple of months. They're not going to just lob a few missiles over the border with zero casualties and accept that as enough.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2020, 10:43:08 PM

Let's hope...that it turns out not to be true that is. I don't care if Tim changes the thread title  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

737 went down in Tehran.

State media reports it was to a mechanical failure, but rumors are flying around that Iranian AA shot it down by mistake.

Seemed everything was going well until it reached 8,000 feet
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

We will all learn tomorrow.  It would be uncharacteristic if Trump allowed the Iranians the last word or attack.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 08, 2020, 04:41:09 AM
Lots of Iranians on that flight of course, but also 63 Canadians :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51029994

Iran has refused to hand over the black box to Boeing. Might be just a "we hate America so no" thing but this plus the coincidence of when the crash happened seem to indicate it WAS Iranian AAA bringing it down.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2020, 11:45:26 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2020, 10:43:08 PM

It is already true

A few missiles lobbed and a general killed does not a war make.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Hopefully no Americans got hurt, Iran can claim they responded, and we can ignore it.  Things will go back to normal, with Iranians oppressed at home, crippled by sanctions, supporting low level terrorism in the middle east plus a few active insurgencies, and some harassment of US interests in the Persian Gulf, while Trump remains on track to win reelection.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I wonder if Iran very carefully targeted their Scuds to miss.