US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2020, 11:51:06 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on January 07, 2020, 11:43:52 AM
It's interesting that the USA felt it had to pass a specific law to allow this in 2014

To allow what specifically? Does the law have any provisions for what the United States considers reasonable exceptions to the treaty? Or is it just asserting a blanket right?

Quoting Wikipedia, but where the page states that the summary is based on that provided by the Congressional Research Service -

The law amends the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1990 and 1991 to direct the President of the United States to deny U.S. admission to any representative of the United Nations (U.N.) who: (1) has been found to have been engaged in espionage activities or a terrorist activity against the United States or its allies, and (2) may pose a threat to U.S. national security interests.

I would not say that Trump is "covered" by this as Zarif is not a representative "of the United Nations"; on the other hand a strict reading of article IV section 11's wording would suggest that banning Zarif does not breach the Treaty unless he was invited by "...the United Nations or by such specialized agency..." He's not actually one of the "representatives of members" if I read the intent of point (1) correctly.

According to Wikipedia it was passed the Senate by unanimous consent, and the article implies the same was true in the House of Representatives. So nobody present at the time opposed it enough to call a vote, although perhaps one of our American colleagues can confirm if this is true or not.

[I'll be honest, I had completely forgotten about Abutaleibi until his name came up when I was googling for the Housing Agreement to read the exact text.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

It was passed into law; it's on the statute books.
It is drafted in a way that the President is obligated to bar entry of a person who meets the criteria unless the President grants waiver.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

The Iranians have struck back!  :(

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1214691102185443335

QuoteTEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran state TV says Tehran launches "tens" of surface-to-surface missiles at Iraq's Ain Assad air base housing US troops
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Oops, that's bad, real bad; both for the soldiers and the inevitable civilian casualties and because of the likely march to war.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2020, 06:57:20 PM
Stupid overt move by Iran

Certainly because an unknown known, Trump is involved.

Otherwise it might be a seen as a considered similar level attack/retaliationv to the original assassination. 

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2020, 07:05:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2020, 06:57:20 PM
Stupid overt move by Iran

Certainly because an unknown known, Trump is involved.

Otherwise it might be a seen as a considered similar level attack/retaliationv to the original assassination.

Until some tomahawks, more than "tens", start landing in Iran.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2020, 07:14:28 PM
I don't see how war can be avoided now.

It can always be avioded. Remember Trump is a bully at heart.

My worry if it does continue, is Iran targeting Israel. Trump's administration is incompetent to restrain the israeli's.

FunkMonk

Balloon's going up.

It's been an honor posting with y'all. Heading to my fallout shelter now and no internet 100 feet underground.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2020, 07:14:28 PM
I don't see how war can be avoided now.

It can always be avioded. Remember Trump is a bully at heart.

My worry if it does continue, is Iran targeting Israel. Trump's administration is incompetent to restrain the israeli's.

My guess is the Iranians are trying to give Trump a bloody nose (dead american servicemen) and as you say stand up to the bully.

But I think this has been a miscalculation because Trump has several too easy retaliation options, given the panoply of military assets in the regions.

My hope now is that it was a unsophisticated attack using Saddam era scud type missiles and they didn't get too lucky and hit a dinner hall like in the gulf war, so lots of sound a fury but very limited military damage on the ground, after all this An Al Asad airbase is a massive complex sitting in a lot of desert. So it's a damp squid that Trump doesn't feel bound to flatten Iran in response.

Just to clarify, the Pentagon has said a base in Irbil has also been attacked.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2020, 07:48:52 PM
This thread's title is really fucking stupid.

Yes I was just thinking that, a better option would be 'The Unfolding US-Iran War'

For Tim:
The Iran-Iraq war -  Saddam's Iraq vs the revolutionary Islamic Iran.

The Gulf War - Saddam's Iraq vs The US, most of the West and the Gulf countries. Also including Egypt and Syria.

The Iraq War and Occupation - GWB's USA and UK vs Saddam's Iraq.

This looming war - Iraq doesn't want to be involved this time, so whilst some fighting might take place there, I doubt there'll be any Iraqi state involvement, unlike in the previous three wars.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point