US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Kind of weird sitting around for the shoe to drop.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2020, 12:43:17 PM
Kind of weird sitting around for the shoe to drop.

I had to google that to see if my guess at it's meaning was in the right ball park; is it an especially American saying, as I've not heard it before.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I kind of booted it (HAHAHAHAHA get it?).  Should be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2020, 01:37:29 PM
I kind of booted it (HAHAHAHAHA get it?).  Should be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I wonder what it's origin is?

Cobblers, military, an observation on entropy?

Maximus

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2020, 01:39:12 PM

horseshoes?

edit: it turns out it's much more interesting than that: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wait_for_the_other_shoe_to_drop

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2020, 01:39:12 PM

According to wikitionary and very closely tied to the definition from The Gothamist, "A common experience of tenement living in apartment-style housing in New York City, and other large cities, during the manufacturing boom of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Apartments were built, similar in design, with the bedrooms located directly above and underneath one another. Thus, it was normal to hear a neighbor removing their shoes in the apartment above. As one shoe made a sound hitting the floor, the expectation for the other shoe to make a similar disturbance was created."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

OttoVonBismarck

Sounds like the Iraqi Parliament may have just passed a "show" law.

Apparently it resolves to "end any foreign presence on Iraqi soil and prevent the use of Iraqi airspace, soil and water for any reason", it provides no timetable for doing so.

Apparently it would also leave in place the 2014 Strategic Framework Agreement (which is what gave us Iraqi permission to basically fight in their country during the conflict with ISIS), I'm hearing the Iraqis are hesitant to push for anything more than a symbolic gesture since all the 5200 American troops in Iraq really do right now is help train and support the Iraqi Army in fighting ISIS remnants, so it's not really in their self interest for them to leave. But passing this legislation perhaps sates some of the popular angst among Iraqi Shiites about this.

I guess we'll see though, I wouldn't be shocked if despite all that, Donald just says "okay we'll leave" and withdraws immediately against advice of his military advisers. It would fit in with his general attitude about things.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 05, 2020, 01:50:03 PM

It is a nonbinding resolution, so a show law by definition.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 05, 2020, 01:50:03 PM

Apparently it resolves to "end any foreign presence on Iraqi soil and prevent the use of Iraqi airspace, soil and water for any reason", it provides no timetable for doing so.

Apparently it would also leave in place the 2014 Strategic Framework Agreement (which is what gave us Iraqi permission to basically fight in their country during the conflict with ISIS), I'm hearing the Iraqis are hesitant to push for anything more than a symbolic gesture since all the 5200 American troops in Iraq really do right now is help train and support the Iraqi Army in fighting ISIS remnants, so it's not really in their self interest for them to leave. But passing this legislation perhaps sates some of the popular angst among Iraqi Shiites about this.

I guess we'll see though, I wouldn't be shocked if despite all that, Donald just says "okay we'll leave" and withdraws immediately against advice of his military advisers. It would fit in with his general attitude about things.

He'd certainly do that if it suited Vladimir Putin's agenda.

Zanza

Iran has stated that they will now stop adhering to the last bit of the nuclear agreement of 2015 and will restart unlimited uranium enrichment. They had kept the agreement for a year after Trump had decided to end it and had started some non-agreement enrichment again in May, but will now do it unlimited and with higher purity.

Trump's legacy will be a nuclear armed Iran. An utter strategic defeat of American interest in the Middle East.

Sheilbh

Although it may also be a constitutional issue.

According to Middle East correspondent this would require a law. Laws have to be presented to Parliament by the cabinet, not the other way round so this may be as much as the Parliament can do.

And apparently as Iraq doesn't have a government at the minute (just a caretaker administration) they can't present laws.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 05, 2020, 02:20:46 PM
Iran has stated that they will now stop adhering to the last bit of the nuclear agreement of 2015 and will restart unlimited uranium enrichment. They had kept the agreement for a year after Trump had decided to end it and had started some non-agreement enrichment again in May, but will now do it unlimited and with higher purity.

Trump's legacy will be a nuclear armed Iran. An utter strategic defeat of American interest in the Middle East.

And a nuclear armed Saudi Arabia, once they cash in their chit with the Pakistanis.

The Brain

They better not have put their enrichment facility near a world heritage site.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2020, 02:31:00 PM

They better not have put their enrichment facility near a world heritage site.

on the other hand we might very well see the creation of new world heritage sites...

OttoVonBismarck

Although the Iranians still went on to say they would abide by the original agreement if sanctions were lifted, and while they said they had ended their formal treaty obligations they had no immediate plans to significantly increase nuclearization, just the "right to do so" at any time they please.