US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 01:07:40 PM
If we accept that the Iranians shot down the plane by accident (they misidentified it or something)... then what should the international reaction be?

Sympathy for the dead, contempt for the Iranian air defense decision makers, and maybe a little doubt about the judgement of the airlines to continue flying in that context.

So apparently the reason there were so many Canadians on that flight is due to US sanctions on Iran.  Which means a lot of western airlines can not or will not fly into that country, which is why those people were stuck routing through Kiyev on a third-rate Ukrainian airline.

Why is it third rate?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2020, 01:16:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 01:07:40 PM
If we accept that the Iranians shot down the plane by accident (they misidentified it or something)... then what should the international reaction be?

Sympathy for the dead, contempt for the Iranian air defense decision makers, and maybe a little doubt about the judgement of the airlines to continue flying in that context.

So apparently the reason there were so many Canadians on that flight is due to US sanctions on Iran.  Which means a lot of western airlines can not or will not fly into that country, which is why those people were stuck routing through Kiyev on a third-rate Ukrainian airline.

Why is it third rate?

Because it's Ukrainian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Eh, what's your point?  If it had been an Air Canada flight it wouldn't have been shot down?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 01:41:49 PM

Eh, what's your point?  If it had been an Air Canada flight it wouldn't have been shot down?
Depends on why this one was shot down.  It's possible for the flight crew to make some errors that would make it easier for the AA crew to fuck up.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2020, 01:40:53 PM
:mad:

Dude.  You know that no one cheer leads more for Ukraine and her people than me.

But a Ukraine-based company does not scream quality and reliability.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 01:41:49 PM

That Air Canada wouldn't fly into Tehran to begin with.

Admiral Yi

"Air Canada does not fly to Tehran because of US sanctions" is a nice, helpful piece of information, but I still don't see how it relates to anything.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 02:00:33 PM

Dude.  You know that no one cheer leads more for Ukraine and her people than me.

Yet, they've never had a plane crash. (and this particular jet was just three years old)

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 09, 2020, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 02:00:33 PM

Yet, they've never had a plane crash. (and this particular jet was just three years old)

And I'll give them props (heh) for flying Boeings, not some ancient Tupolevs.

But there's a reason Kiyev isn't a major international air hub.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

How did this turn into a discussion about the quality of the airline?

If the plane was shot down, it almost certainly has zero to do with anything the airline or pilots did or did not do. Everything I've heard so far as it that the takeoff was completely routine.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2020, 02:29:59 PM

If the plane was shot down, it almost certainly has zero to do with anything the airline or pilots did or did not do. Everything I've heard so far as it that the takeoff was completely routine.

This almost certainly is true.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was surprised initially why a Ukrainian flight out of Tehran would be full of Canadians.  That is all.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2020, 02:29:59 PM

First world airlines perform more routine maintenance on radar jammers and chaff dispensers.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.